1. An old friend

Maeve Rojas|| September 28th 12:07

The news of Simon's death was all around the school by now, truth was no one gave a shit about him. Occasionally, I'd see his best friend walking around the school halls with her head down and wearing black. I believe her name is Jane... her face really rang a bell.

"Attention students, please remember that tonights baseball game will be in honour of Simon. Attendance isn't mandatory but it would be expected," the sound of the speakers were muffled and some what annoying. Soon after I made my way to the lunch hall, I spotted the girl with the wispy blonde hair sat alone.

Trying to put my finger in how I knew her, the mystery girl stared up at me. Forcing a smile, I waved at her watching her eyes turn glassy. Curly my hair around my finger, I left the lunch hall forgetting entirely about food.

How did I know her?

The question kept replaying in my head. Pushing the bathroom door open, my mind trailed off to think about Simon. After a few minutes of staring at myself, the mystery girl walked in wiping the tears from her eyes.

How do I know her?

"Hey, are you alright?" I questioned leaning my head up against one of the stall's doors. Her sobbing became almost deafening turning into quiet screams. Pity filled my head; Simon's death must have been as painful as it was for me as it was her. Except... I knew how to contain my feelings.

"Just leave me alone, Maeve" She replied through sobs slamming her head against the wall. Biting my bottom lip, my eyes also became slightly glassy. "How do you know my name?" I asked sliding my body down to the floor.

"How could you not remember? We hung out pretty much all summer, I was Simon's bestfriend. Janae... Janae Vargas," her sobs had become quieter and less noticeable. My eyes widened at the name, I had instant flashbacks.

*flashback*

"Smile" I giggled posing for the camera. Simon wrapped his arm around me as Janae rested her head on top of mine. A blinding light flashed infront of us making me wince slightly.

"Holy shit these look pretty distant, don't you think" Simon chuckled as he held our pictures up to the light. Giggling uncontrollably, I swiped the pictures off of Simon my smile widening.

My finger trailed across the outlines of our heads. "Can I keep it?" I asked staring up at the two. "I don't see why not," Janae answered ruffling my hair midnight black hair.

*present day*

"Oh fuck," I blurted out to her bringing my knees up to my chest. "Remember 3me now, princess?" She sarcastically chuckled throwing something at the stall door. Beginning to fiddle with my copper necklace, I flinched at the sound of my phone beeping.

"Hey, uh... Janae, have you seen this" my eyebrows furrowed in confusion," it's a About That update" I heard a short gasp escaped her mouth as her phone dropped to the floor.

The post read:
I got the idea for killing Simon while watching Dateline.
I'd been thinking about it for a while, obviously. That's not the kind of thing you pluck out of thin air. But the how of getting away with it always stopped me. I don't kid myself that I'm a criminal mastermind. And I'm much to good-looking for prison.

On the show, a guy killed his wife. Standard Dateline stuff, right? It's always the husband. But turns out lots of people were happy to see her gone. She'd gotten a co-worker fired, screwed over people on city council, and had an affair with a friend's husband. She was a nightmare, basically.

The guy on Dateline wasn't too bright. Hired someone to murder his wife and the cell phone records were easy to trace. But before those came out he had a decent smoke screen because of all the other suspects. That's the kind of person you can get away with murdering.

Let's face it: everyone at Bayveiw High hated Simon. I was just the only one with enough guts to do something about it.

"Holy shit," Janae's voice became shaky again," someone actually fucking killed Simon." I knew I had the laptop, so who had posted this? "My bets on Nate Mchauley, my sister has a thing for him. But you know drug dealer," I say changing the pitch of my voice for when I said 'drug dealer'.

Finally, Janae stepped out of the stall her eyes puffy and cheeks red- she looked a real mess. Her blonde hair was tied up in a bun; she wore a purple hoodie paired with baggy jeans. Decorated colourfully, Janae's converse had doddles one the sides that were amusing to look at.

Straightening my sweater out, I pulled on her arm which was extended pulling me up. "I like your necklace," she stared down at my necklace. "I like your shoes, nice doodles," I replied looking down at her shoes.

My eyes met hers as we began to look up once again. Keeping eye contact, she began fiddling with the strings on her hoodie. RINGGGG!!! I winced at the sudden noise of the bell causing me to gather my things into my backpack.

"See you around," I say sprinting out of the bathroom. A few moments later, I bumped into my sister- who had seen Janae walk out of the bathroom shortly after me. "Maeve Rojas, please tell me you did not-"

"No, God no... shes just an old friend," I blurt out sort of disgusted by the idea. "She better be," Bronwyn chuckled patting my back before running off to class.

I could barely focus in class, my mind kept drifting back to the conversation in the girls bathroom.

A/N: Okay, that was the first chapter of this and I kinda feel like it's bad. I normally read about ships and how to write certain parts of stories before writing but I couldn't find anything like this. I mean yes, I found "one of us is lying" but not Janae x Maeve business.

                      1028 words