She took a shuddering breath.

Min did not understand Newhurst, what it was that caused everyone here to act in such a way. She didn't want to. What she did know-

She couldn't do it.

If this was what it meant to be posted on the blog, she couldn't do that to anyone. Not even to someone as cold-hearted as Yeosang.

"Are you feeling better?" Jisoo asked, her voice sullen and careful.

She bit her lip. "I'm okay."

Min straightened, the mix of fear, anger, and sadness becoming a bitter hum in the back of her mind. The numbness was an anchor that she eagerly reached for. This was how anyone sane had to get by at NHU.

Jisoo helped her to her feet with a tight grip, as though Min would slip through her fingers. Maybe she would.

"You sure?"

Min swallowed a million truths in favor of the only one she could tell Jisoo without consequences.

"I have to be."

Outside, the world was still and silent. Campus was barely awake. The quiet was grating and Min couldn't help but notice Jisoo watching her in the corner of her eye. Maybe she could see it, her stupid mind racing the way it always did when she was about to do something she'd inevitably regret.

Part of her was thankful Jisoo and Kevin had never gotten as close to her as she'd wanted. They'd never know her poker face either.

Min clutched her hand warmly nevertheless. "Thank you."

"You don't have to thank me."

"I do," she insisted, and she meant it. "You're all I got."

The heiress's eyes seemed to droop a little at that. "You still need to go to the studio?"

Whatever moment they just had was broken at the mention of dance. Min had hoped to wake up early and sneak in some practice before her group dance lesson in the afternoon. Her gaze drifted to the stocky red lettering again.

It would have to wait.

"Yes, unfortunately." When she lied this time, the guilt was nowhere to be found.

···✧···

THE DAY ONLY GOT WORSE FROM THERE.

Min stalked through the hallways of Judes, hood up and head down. Her hands were firmly tucked away in her pockets out of fear that a stranger may see her red paint stained nail beds and recognize her face. That they would know what she did the moment they saw her teeth catching her lips and her red-rimmed swollen eyes.

On second thought, she should not have bothered at all. Luck had not been on her side since coming to the city and it was not now either. Misfortune seemed to hide behind every corner.

By the time she reached the studio for her group session, the vast room echoed with overlapping conversations that Min did not care to hear. Male and female dancers were at the barre and on the floor, stretching in preparation for class or beating their pointe shoes against the floor. They were gossiping, she knew. As they always had. As everyone did. It didn't matter what they were saying,

Min's hearing left the moment she entered anyway.

Her ears had started to ring when she recognized Juyeon's proud stance in the far corner next to Madame Dufort and a wall of mirrors. His gaze, sharp and probing, swung to her the moment he saw her enter. He managed a gentle smile that was all lip, but his stare was invasive. Min knew then that this was not a coincidence. Nothing ever was with him.

1.2 | The Night and Its Stars ⌜ yeosang ⌟जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें