07 Trip gone askew

After the unexpected visit from All Might, you need time to think about your decision. Summer vacation is also around the corner, so what better way to relax and enjoy it than taking your little Tenko on a trip to Fukuoka. Things don't go quite as expected.

The visit from All might have caused a change in Tenko's behavior, he had become clingier and it just made you feel like a bad mother for not noticing his abandonment issues beforehand. Slowly but surely Tenko began relaxing again and not clinging to you every five seconds, to make sure you were still with him. It took around 2 months, and only really seemed to ease after All Might's first visit as the designated 'cool' uncle. It seemed like Tenko realized that no, he was not going to be taken from you when All Might went home alone.

Their interactions were a bit stiff in the beginning, as All Might had a hard time talking about anything that didn't involve hero work or heroes in general. But after he asked Tenko about his hobbies and asked him even more about his favorite games, they began getting along quite well. It made you hopeful for Tenko's future, it would do him some good to have a male role model. So if All Might could be that for Tenko then you were eternally grateful.

Around a month after All Might visited for the first time, and once more in the span of that one month,school was out and it was now summer vacation. And so Tenko's pestering about going on vacation became constant "Can we go on vacation please mama" he would ask and give you those adorable puppy dog eyes of his. His little ruby eyes were your sole weakness. And after a hectic couple of months, filled with both challenges and love since Tenko arrived in your life. 5 months ago you were a young single woman, living to work and not much else. Now you were a young single mother , with a young child who had various issues of various degrees. But you wouldn't trade him for the world.

Tenko's constant pestering about going on vacation got to you eventually, and one evening you ended up curled in the sofa with a cuddly Tenko stuck at your side. "Tenko, do you still want to go on vacation?" You asked him softly. He turned to look at you with bright eyes, he jumped off the sofa and began doing a little happy dance. No words of confirmation came from him, but his cute little display of excitement told you more than enough.

Tenko only stopped a minute later and looked contemplative, "Can we go to Fukuoka?" His little voice rang in your ears. Shrugging your shoulders you faced him with a bright smile, "Why not". The planning for the last minute trip to Fukuoka took around a week to plan, book and pack for. You decided to make it into a road trip, since small cramped seats on an airplane would likely be triggering for Tenko. Just like that a week after your vacation conversation with Tenko happened, you were off towards Fukuoka.

Tenko spent most of his time looking out the car window, watching in fascination all the different scenery. It was a lively drive to Fukuoka, and you were very happy with the decision to go on vacation even if it was last minute. The hotel room that you had reserved for Tenko and yourself was pretty decently sized, and it wasn't too expensive either so all in all you were pretty happy with it. The first night was spent jumping in the bed with Tenko, just because he wanted to try it and wasn't allowed to do it at home.

The first day of the vacation was spent in a bunch of arcades, they quickly became a favorite of little Tenko. Some of the older children and their parents approached you, and the children challenged Tenko to various games. Tenko's video game prowess became widely known, when after 6 hours in 3 different arcades he still stood as the undefeated champion. You bought Tenko a slice of salt caramel and chocolate cake as a price, since it reduced the sweetness and was a dessert Tenko actually liked.

The second day was spent sightseeing, and making a video call to All Might as promised. All Might obviously couldn't take a vacation day the same way you could, so the compromise was to give him a call. Tenko spent about 20 minutes yapping All Might's ears off, boasting about how he beat a lot of kids at video games in the arcades yesterday. It warmed your heart to see Tenko boast about his achievement, since it showed that he had become more confident and that their relationship wasn't as strained as before. You visited a shrine in the evening, and had dinner at a place nearby. Tenko's eyes sparkled as he recalled the magnificent shrine and talked with you over dinner.

Yeah, a vacation was indeed a good idea.

On the third day however, things didn't run nearly as smoothly. It started around lunchtime, Tenko was tugging on your hand and insisted he could find the way to the restaurant. In the end you gave up, and let Tenko drag you around the city alleys and streets. If you got completely lost, you had a phone and GPS to help you.

Tenko was chatting excitedly about the food he couldn't wait to taste, when out of nowhere he stopped dead in his tracks. "Mama, who's that?" The gentle tug at your sleeve made you turn your attention towards Tenko, your eyes following the finger that pointed at something. You eyes widened at the scene, a small child a little bigger than Tenko was sitting and eating out of a dumpster. The child had the most beautiful red wings attached to his back, but his clothes and the child itself was so dirty that the feathers seemed muddy.