Chapter 5 Wayne Manor 2018

I'm so sorry for the handwriting on the layout. Writing on my tablet is harder than is sounds.

Sometime into the next morning, Lyla realized her necklace was gone. She was sure the robbers didn't get it, so whoever patched her up must have taken it off.
She was pretty sure it was the butler, Alfred, who had stitched her up. She'd met him before she went to sleep last night when he came to check on her, and informed her Robin as on patrol but he could take care of anything she needed.
She had picked up on the fact that he was more resourceful than he appeared as he checked on her wounds. Lyla was curious about his story, everyone has a story, but she wasn't sure she was in a place to ask him for it.
    Perhaps if she's here long enough she'd have the chance to hear it.
    She asked Robin about her necklace when he came to see her not long after she woke up. He claimed to not have seen it.
She wasn't sure she believed him.

From what she could tell Boy Wonder was still school age, though in a just world she'd be in school to, and the only other person around seemed the be the butler.
    Robin had joined her in the room after he got back midday. He sat in the window seat and worked on homework while they talked.
    He asked her about all kinds of things, but mostly he wanted to know what her life was like on the streets.
He dodged most of her questions blaming it on "secret identities" but that would stop her. She persisted for most of the evening, trying to learn anything, but he wouldn't budge.    
The sun was setting outside the window when something beeped on his watch. He excused himself saying he had a world to save and Lyla was left alone to her thoughts again.

The next morning she was no longer physically able to lay still in that, to big, to empty, bed. She had pulled her IV full of liquids out of her arm hours ago when it had started bugging her, and her legs where fine, she'd been pacing for what felt like hours.
    All of the drawers in the night stand and dresser where empty, she couldn't seem to find anything to keep her hands and mind busy.
    Alfred had brought her breakfast this morning before Robin snuck in her room.
They ate together and she really did appreciate the company, but he couldn't stay.
Of course.

The busy life of a teenage superhero.

    Lyla felt like she was going crazy, idle didn't suit her, and she'd been nothing but idle for three days.
Plus, she wanted her necklace back. The alarm clock on the night stand told her it was now 2:00 P.M.  She figured she had at least an hour until Robin got back.
She had to at least try.

As she snuck around the house, her brain worked on the pieces of the puzzle. A kind British Butler, a huge old mansion, and a teenage boy.
The whole picture was nearly there but something was missing.

She turned down a the stairs, through the large open door under the balcony, to find herself in a huge room with tall ceilings, a huge desk facing away from the door, bookcases that stretched the entire room, but what caught her eye was the portrait over the fire place on the far side of the room.
Not bothering to check the room for company, she made her way to the unlit fireplace.
    The woman was beautiful, with soft features, grey-blue eyes, hair the same brown shade as Lylas, and scattered freckles. She was middle aged and had smile lines to match her heart warming smile.
On the bottom of the frame was a metal piece carved with the name Martha Wayne.
Her head began racing again.

" Martha Wayne?" " If that's Martha Wayne then.... No that's not possible"

Lylas head flooded with the memory of reading a stolen newspaper. She'd found her missing puzzle piece. But the full picture was buried deep in her memories. An article she'd read more than three years ago: