Chapter 8 The safety of Gotham 2018

-    Jason pov. -

    It had been nearly a week since Dick left and Jason was sure he hadn't felt this anxious since his first night as Robin. Sunday nights where always quiet but tonight more so that usual.

        " ROBIN, YOU'VE GOT 3 MASKS SCOUTING THE CENTRAL BANK ON PARK STREET."

Lylas voice brought him back to reality. He heard her chuckle in his ear.

        " YOU ALRIGHT SWEETHEART?"

        " I'm fine" he said into his comm, setting off in the direction she had told him.

    Lyla had been helping Alfred with the desk work and if he's honest she helped keep him stable these last few days.
Jason finally had something to look forward to coming home to, something that made Gotham worth saving.

    Dick had warned him about the Joker but Gotham had been mostly quiet.
Thanksgiving was just a week away and he had credited the holiday when Lyla asked about the quiet streets. But they both knew the holidays where no game changer, something was coming.

    But with the holidays so close it meant he heard Lyla's voice more and Alfred's less, as he was constantly busy planning. So he took it as a blessing, Lyla was good at it to, years of living on the streets he was protecting had thought her what to watch out for.

    " THEIR RIGHT BELOW YOU." Lyla told him as he almost zipped straight past his stop.

    Three two-face goons where easy work even off his game. It took him less than ten minutes to knock them out and tip off the cops.

   " NIGHT ALMOST OVER. YOU READY TO COME HOME?"

    " More than you know."

            -    Lyla pov. -

" Maybe Dick was wrong to be worried" Lyla guessed as she sat on one of the holo tables in the Batcave, patching Jason's cape.

She was good with a needle and thread from having to make her clothes last as long as possible. Alfred had taught her a few new tricks with the more difficult materials and now she was nearly as good as he was.

Dick had checked in twice since he left. Claiming he's following a lead but has no idea who responsible.

" Maybe," Jason said his head laid on her knee as he sat in the desk chair. "but I doubt it Dick's not one to just assume."

" I know your worried but you need to rest." she said ruffling his already messy hair. It was nearly 3 A.M. and was Jason fifth consecutive night patrolling alone. She was right. Jason had put in long, intense hours this week and had let his sleep schedule suffer.

"I'll rest when their back." Was all he offered in return.

Before Lyla could protest, an alert chimed on the desk. A green haired figure looking for a way into a building in the warehouse district.

" Duty calls." Jason declared, taking his cape from her and planting a kiss on her forehead.

Lyla's mouth went dry at the sight. A Joker goon could only mean one thing.