Chapter Four: The Demon King's Musings

Chapter Four: The Demon King’s Musings

The result justifies the means in which it is obtained

         They spent three more days in the forest and each night the Hero would go out and away and come back an hour or so later with small animals meant to be their food. Which was no  small feat considering she had nothing to catch them with. It was mostly rabbit or bird, as to how she got them without a trap or a bow made him blink in wonder. One night she even came back bruised and bitten covered in blood and with a wolf slung over her back.

        She made him feel things he’d never felt before and he had to admit that he liked being near her. Frowning with frustration, he remembered one key fact.

Mao would kill him, or worse, her, if he ever found out.

          Mao was like an older brother to him, the only person that Nemis actually cared about. It was Mao that he owed his life to and if he wanted the Hero dead, there wasn’t much Nemis would do to obstruct that. As he thought it, his heart began to ache. Clutching it, he bent over and coughed, trying hard as he could to force the pain away.

He didn’t want Mao to find out for some reason.

He liked being with her.

She treated him like a person, not like a king or a demon.

    He glanced at her, his mind filling with words and thoughts he did not want to think. He couldn’t be going soft. He was going to kill the Hero. Only it would be when he felt like it.

What is this… He had to ask himself. The little bitch will die, she will.

            During the three days it took them to reach the edge of the forest he found himself constantly staring at the girl. Watching her, he couldn’t take his eyes off of her. When night came she was ethereal, pale like the goddess Opheria. When day came she was fierce and strong, bright like the god Azon.

Mao can’t find out…

The land outside the forest was clear. They could see the sun and trees only dotted the earth. Thickets of wild berries appeared more often than not that he got tired of eating them early on. She assured with great certainty that Coron wouldn’t be much further. When he heard this, he couldn’t have felt anymore elated. He was tired of walking. Almost a week had passed since he’d joined the girl and he was  getting bored with the wild game and fish. Anyways, the Hero had become quiet again.

        The girl would look at him sometimes when they did talk, her eyes clouded with confusion. Was it because he said things that didn’t make sense? Maybe some demon words had no meaning in the human tounge. He would have to ask when he returned home.

           The realm of Hell was a different place, cold and desolate, and it was the home of carnage and death, chaos and desire. Hell wasn’t like the other two realms; it was the place of trash.

        Oh, that was made clear in the beginning. Demons are nothing but garbage in the eyes of the humans and the gods. They belong in the cold nothingness they call Hell. Nemis growled to himself, his patience sorely tested by his own thoughts. My world. My People. Them, humans, they are the true evil. Humans…Like…Her…

           Somehow, that upset him, angered him even. For some stupid reason, he had thought the Hero was-oddly enough- something different. The more he played with her, the more he followed her steps, the less he felt sure about anything.

It unsettled him.

        For the first time in a long time, he thought about Hell.  He thought about the only things that grew there, little trees of a glass like substance. They bore fruit fabled to bring back anyone dead, so long as they were freshly dead, and was perhaps more delicious than anything in the world of the humans. Sadly enough, the trees only bloomed every ten years. Nemis had actually only tried it twice, as to why, he didn’t like to think about it.