Chapter One: We Were Once Kings

NIKITA TAKAHASHI

Four Years Ago

Responsibility.

Reputation.

Respect.

A girl, no older than fourteen, knelt before her father's court.

A sword unsheathed.

Her father, despite his age, wielded the sword deftly. His eyes were emeralds, his hair as pure as winter.

"My daughter Nikita,"

Dressed in his noble robes, her father has never looked so imposing. He seemed so wise and strong, a faraway image from the smiling, carefree demeanor he usually carried around the castle.

The great hall fell into silence.

The hundreds of fellow nobles and lowborn magi raised their heads in attention as their lord spoke.

"In the name of our ancestors, in the name of our founders, and by my rights as your lord father— I declare you my heir."

He placed the blade on her shoulder, closing his eyes.

The sword glowed bright, lit alive by her father's magical energy.

A moment passed and the sword is sheathed.

The girl rises a woman.

Her father placed a hand on her shoulder, smiling. His was a genuine, fatherly smile. She felt comfort from that and returns the gesture.

She was nervous the moment she entered the hall.

So many eyes, so many faces watched her as she marched on the carmine carpet, dressed in her noble armor. Most shared gentle smiles, others held malice behind their gaze.

She wanted to run so much, but she knew that she couldn't.

And so she endured.

Now she stood before her father, upon a dais of gold and red, smiling proudly as a torrent of applause explodes from the gathered crowds.

"Nikita!"

"Nikita!"

The crowd loved her. The crowd was proud of her.

She was the heir now.

Hers is a house that once raised kings.

She would make her father proud.

= ] | [ =

CHAOS MAXWELL

Two Years Ago

The soil was dirtied with wolf's blood.

The grass was stained red, the mud caked with bone and fur. In my hand was a broken knife, carved from nothing but stone and leather. Before me was the largest wolf I have ever seen.

A dire wolf.

Mad eyes, razor sharp teeth.

A feral growl escaped its maw.

"Hah..."

I've killed its pack, slayed its brothers and sisters.

I glanced at the wolf corpse to my right. A single red gash ran across its neck, sending blood seeping into the soil.

The horse-sized dire wolf in front of me leaned forward, preparing to strike.

The wolf lusted for the warmth of my blood.