Chapter Two "She Left And I Want To Know Why"

Start from the beginning

Tanya collected her bags, shot another smile towards the teen and left the room, shutting the door firmly. Only then, did Emily allow herself to completely break down, she stood up and looked around her room in a daze of anger, confusion, sadness and hurt. She had no care for anything at that moment, only on how to get her feelings out of her head and into the world, so she rooted through her desk and pulled out her small blade that she hid.

Emily took a few deep breaths before she slowly pulled the blade through her skin, she was met with the familiar stinging in her arm. She repeated the action, not once, nor twice, not even three times, but four, then she switched hands and repeated it five times on the other arm, blood slowly started to drip down her arms. Emily, with blurred vision from her tears, rushed to her bathroom, she wiped the blood off and wrapped a bandage over each arm.

She brushed her hair and tied it into a topknot above her head, changed her clothes into a pair of black tracksuit bottoms, a grey long sleeved t-shirt, her light blue disney stitch hoodie and her black and white vans. In a trance-like state, she grabbed a few sets of clothes and pajamas, some toiletries and two pairs of shoes into a backpack. She also shoved her bag of meds into the backpack. Emily dropped the bag onto the floor and opened her laptop, booking a one-way ticket to California, Los Angeles.

Emily grabbed all her savings, a total of $400.49, her ticket cost $80, so she had enough to buy food and drink and a cheap hotel room for a couple of nights. She searched up hotels in California and booked a one-bed room for two nights, which cost her $200. Emily threw her laptop into her backpack, along with her book and grabbed her phone, before leaving through her window and climbing down the tree into the yard. 

She scaled the fence with great difficulty and booked an uber, which arrived in ten minutes, they drove her to the airport and she walked inside, through security and went to the shop. She bought herself a few bottles of water, a bar of daim chocolate, a bag of sour sweets, three packs of strawberry gum, a bag of salt and vinegar crisps and a ham and cheese sandwich. She waited in the ten minute queue and payed. "Your total is $16.79" The lady at the till smiled.

She nodded and handed her a twenty dollar bill, she took her change and put it into her purse and into her bag, grabbed her bag of food and walked to a chair where she waited for her flight. Emily couldn't actually believe she had made it this far, that she had actually left, that she was really running away. Emily had already picked up her boarding pass, it was securely in her purse with her money and passport. "Flight 17 to California, LA. Gate 7." A voice broke her from her thoughts.

Emily made sure she had her bags and walked towards the desk, she handed over her passport and boarding pass and then walked through the passage and onto the plane, she checked her ticket. 'Row 1, Seat C.' She was at the front of the plane and on the aisle-side, it meant she wasn't completely submerged in strangers which helped ease her anxiety.

Emily put her backpack into the cabin above her head, sat down, turned her phone onto airplane mode and silent, put her bag of food on her lap and plugged her earphones in. The teenager clicked onto spotify and played her downloaded songs, NF came on and she relaxed, within ten minutes the plane was ready to take off, she smiled to herself as her dream was beginning to come true. She could finally meet her biological mother.

The ending of 'Hate Myself' by NF played and then morphed into the beginning of 'She's All I Wanna Be' by Tate McRae began. The plane took off and Emily let out a sigh, she hated planes, all the possibilities of negative things happening always took over her mind, she just focused on her music and breathing. Within an hour and a half of the flight, Emily felt hungry so she opened her bag and got her sandwich and water out.

Slowly, she took small sips of the cold liquid and let it run down her dry throat, with each bite of the sandwich, she took several gulps of water. Her mind was going crazy with the amount of calories she was consuming in that moment, but she didn't care, she could burn them off later. Next to her sat a mother and her small daughter, no older than seven. The girl was sat in the middle of them and the mother next to the window.