I stood there in silence, watching the whole scene unfold. As if I was some spectator together with Celeste who was standing next to me.

So King Steve knew all along but he didn't lift the curse to atone.

"What do you think about what the king had done? He had the chance to break the curse before but he kept everything a secret," silently asked Celeste, her eyes covered by nostalgia and sadness.

I stared at the roses slowly growing from Celeste's grave. Time seemed to continue to flow after Steve left her grave. "He was probably trying to pay the price for letting you suffer. Maybe he trusted that you would forgive everyone one day. He let you decide. But he's still selfish to do so."

Celeste let out a broken smile. "There's no guarantee that I'll forgive this kingdom. He was so naive."

"This may sound cliché but maybe he trusted the goodness of your heart."

Celeste smiled. "Maybe it's not the goodness of my heart but I just grew tired of being mad. My soul just grew weary. When you curse someone, you also have to pay the price in return. It was like a double-edged sword."

I knitted my forehead. She was right. A curse was a double-edged sword. Both sides could hurt the bearer and its enemy. Both sides would be scarred and bruised. No one was really actually winning.

I sighed but something suddenly punched my guts.

I was rattled by the memories that rushed in my head, the memories I had before coming here. I remembered how I destroyed Celeste's heart. Her heart already shattered to pieces and it was already enough to lift to the curse but I wondered what I was doing here.

I recalled the fire—the flames that were about to engulf me.

"What happened? Why am I here? Am I already dead? Did I die?" With a confused look upon my face, I turned to Celeste and asked in panic.

Celeste just smiled. "You're here to witness the last bits of my memories. Right where everyone left me."

I frowned. I wanted to sympathize with her nostalgia but I didn't have time to spare for that. "You didn't answer my question. Did I die?"

Celeste shrugged. "I'm not sure. I was about to pass through this life. I failed to witness what happened to your body. But I'm sure they will not let you burn in that fire. And I kind of envy you. You're lucky you have someone who's willing to fight for you, to save you no matter what. That must be nice."

"No—wait. What if I'm also here because I'm passing along with you? To the afterlife?"

Celeste let out a placid smile as if she was not worried about me at all.

"Thank you, Azalea. For helping me lift this curse. It's time to go," Celeste said with a grateful smile. Light finally seeped in her eyes. She finally let go of her past and was ready to move on. She turned to her heels and walked away.

Instinctively, my hand reached out for her. "Wait—Don't leave me here!"

Celeste shook her head. "Don't follow me. Return to where you belong."

Before I could even touch her, a blinding light suddenly engulfed my whole existence.

~~~

I woke up from a deep sleep. Everything around me was hazy as I slowly opened my eyes. My body was numb due to the pain and I couldn't even push myself to sit on the bed. Before I could even scan the room I was in, a loud commotion startled me.

The attendants gasped and cried in relief as they stared at me when I turned to their direction.

Dion, who was the most worried among them all, rushed to my side, sat on the bed and gently held my hand.