Chapter forty two

Start from the beginning

She huffs like a child, "Suit yourself, I'm going."
"No Bella!" I whisper yell, but she doesn't stop. Damn it, I stand up and follow her shortly to make sure she doesn't get herself in any trouble. I find her hiding behind a wall, throwing sneaky glances at the guys.
"I don't understand what they're saying!"

I take a stand next to her and listen. The guys are switching between English and Spanish. Pablo and Luca look like they're in disbelief, while Bruno looks mad.
"I can't believe he would go that far." Pablo says,
"He's a fucking psychopath." Luca counters,
"I'm going to kill him." Bruno says, slamming his hand down on the table.

Bella tries to inch closer, "Who is he?" She asks not taking her eyes away from them. I don't answer because I'm not sure myself, but I heard the word kidnap in there and I'm starting to think that maybe Alexa was kidnapped.. She couldn't have been? Could she? That would explain why I haven't seen her since I came to New York, I thought she was doing work in Mexico though.

"I want all our men on him, today!" Bruno snaps, I haven't seen him this angry in a long time. Before the guys have the chance to answer, Alexa comes out of the corner. Her eyes are red and puffy, and her hair is a mess. I've never seen her this "Messy", she's always so put together and on a high horse.

"No, Bruno please, you promised." She says with a low voice, as she walks towards Bruno. She's wearing his shirt. His shirt. I know she didn't have anything with her when she came and her clothes were dirty, but I or Bella could've lent her something. Not that she would've accepted.
"Alexa, I can't. He fucking hurt you, he stole you!" Bruno yells back, she startles, and his entire demeanor softens, "I'm sorry."

She gets closer, her icy blue eyes are looking at the floor.
"He didn't h-hurt me." Her voice is soft and low, it's like a different person is standing in front of me and not the mean girl I met a couple of years ago. She looks broken.
"Leave us." Bruno orders, the guys nod and leave a second later, giving them alone time.

Bruno turns to Alexa, his expression softens entirely as he looks down at her. He looks angry but also sad,
"I know you don't think he did, but he did – he hurt you, if not physically then mentally." He says softly, like if he raises his voice she'll break. She looks up at him and her eyes look disconnected from reality, they're getting glossy, and she starts breathing heavily.

"It's okay, it's okay now." Bruno says, wrapping his arms around her. "You're safe, I promise that he won't get to you again, ever."

"B-bruno," She sobs, "there's still something I haven't t-told you."
"Shh, we'll figure it out. I need you to rest, then we'll figure it all out."

We'll figure it out.
We'll.
We.
Us.

I take a deep breathe, and I leave before the overthinking starts. Before the unnecessary jealousy takes over.

I head to our room, and I lay down on the bed. A hundred different thoughts swarm around my head, most of them bad. My stomach drops for each lingering thought, but soon enough I fall asleep while hoping that it'll get better soon.

You're overreacting Amalie, she's his childhood friend. He cares about her, that doesn't mean he'll end up feeling something for her again.

But what if he does?
What if he realizes that he isn't over her?
What if he hasn't said he loves me because he's thinking about her?
What if this brings them closer and he leaves?

I wake up and every suffocating thought and doubt is gone when I feel the two familiar warm arms around me.

I don't even realize how much I'm smiling as I brush my fingers against the tatted skin. I turn around slowly and see his parted lips as soft snores leave his mouth. He looks exhausted, I'm not sure when he came to bed.