Chapter Twenty-Eight: Noah

Start from the beginning

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her narrow her eyes at me. "If you're trying to reassure me, it didn't work," she said, pulling her hand away from mine. "Someone who is watching but is careful of keeping out of sight is a person who is planning some kind of mischief."

"It could also be the marshal," I pointed out. "He might be keeping an eye on things, to keep mischief from happening."

Elizabeth shook her head. "Again, that isn't reassuring."

By this point, we had attracted attention. Men and women were whispering to each other from where they stood in front of their homes. But I knew they were not the reason the hair on my neck stood on end. With relief, I spotted a friendly face.

"There's my neighbor Earnest. He's been on my side through this whole thing."

"I want to meet him, then."

And hopefully, Earnest would remember his manners. I still hadn't quite forgiven him for trying to convince me to tell Elizabeth not to come. She was, without a doubt, the best thing to happen to me, and it was clear she would do all she could to clear my name.

And while I'd had people stand by me, there had been a short list of people who had gone out of their way to find the truth.

By the time I brought the wagon to a halt—something of a hassle as I had never had the need to drive my wagon on a Sunday—most of the town had gathered in the street. No one seemed to have gone into the saloon yet. Too curious about Elizabeth?

"I feel like I should do something ridiculous to earn their stares," she muttered just loud enough for me to hear as I helped her down. She brushed her dress once she stood on the ground. "Don't they know it is rude to stare?"

"If you think of something suitably outrageous that wouldn't ruin your reputation forever, let me know," I said, offering her my arm. "I think this town could use a little excitement."

She let out a laugh, and her eyes sparkled. "You know you shouldn't encourage me."

"No, I think I should encourage mischief. It will make life more fun."

Elizabeth leaned over to bump her shoulder against mine. My heart skipped a beat. I'd never seen my parents playful with each other, but I had observed the Harpers doing so.

"Earnest!" I called out to get my friend's attention. A little redundant since everyone had seen my arrival. My right arm was already claimed by Elizabeth, so I raised my left hand to wave at my neighbor. "Come over here. I want you to meet my bride-to-be."

More whispering ensued from everyone in earshot as Earnest walked over. "Morning, Noah. I wondered why I hadn't seen hide nor hair of you the last few days," Earnest said, snatching his hat off. He nodded at Elizabeth. "Ma'am. Welcome to the territory."

"This is Earnest Webster," I said, making the introduction properly. "Earnest, this is the soon to be Mrs. Coleman, Elizabeth Garrison. We are going to be married today if the reverend agrees to it."

But Micahel Rollins wouldn't refuse, would he? My stomach twisted with the unexpected question. No, of course he wouldn't. There was no reason for him to throw a wrench into our plans.

"I am delighted to meet you, Mr. Webster," Elizabeth said, extending her hand. "I've been told you have stood by Noah when far too many have turned their backs on him. Thank you for that."

Color rose up my friend's neck as he accepted her hand. "I have to say you've come at a difficult time," he informed her. "Some might have thought it better to wait for it all to die down."

How dare he? I tensed, opening my mouth to tell him to lay off. "Well, I would disagree with those people." Elizabeth's tone was firm but gracious. She wasn't backing down on this. "I am eager to get to the bottom of the matter as soon as I can."