12 - Walking a Tightrope

Start from the beginning

The bridge swinged dangerously and she bit her tongue.
Halbrand kept walking carefully, until he noticed a shadow by the end of the bridge.
Luthien almost bumped against his back. She moved to a side to see beyond his massive body and spotted a tall man with an axe in his hand. And that axe was dangerously close to the ropes that held that bridge.
Luthien felt dropped into a nightmare. They were in the middle of the bridge.

"You are not welcome here" the stranger said with a mocking tone.
He didn't look older than Halbrand and his clothes made him look like a wealthy hunter.
"Who do we have the pleasure to talk to?" Halbrand said amably.
Luthien admired his calmness. If she had voice, she would have shouted insults to the stranger.
"Reveal your names first, before this bridge will bring you down to an unpleasant flight".
Luthien leaned closer to Halbrand, tempted to wrap her arms around him before the emptiness beneath their feet could swallow them.
"I'm Annatar" Halbrand said placing a hand on his heart.
"And you bring a lovely lady" Luthien shuddered at the unpleasant look that she felt on herself "There's a price to pay to cross my bridge".
"Your bridge? Who are you?" she snapped before she could think twice.
"You can call me Captain, beautiful" the stranger shot her a grin that made her blood boil in her veins.
"Captain of what?" Halbrand inquired, taking small steps forward to cut their distance.
"Of these lands?" the stranger suggested as if it wasn't obvious.
"Of bare lands. No people?" Halbrand retorted.
"What can you offer to pay?" the stranger asked, tired of that discussion "The lady can keep me company. She'd be queen of my lands".
Luthien widened her eyes and hid behind Halbrand's back.
"She's with me. Surely she is not interested in being queen of nothing" Halbrand took some more confident steps, until he was just few steps away from the stranger "I can offer you what everyone desires, Captain".
The stranger scoffed "And what is it? Immortality? Eternal youth?".
"Power".

Luthien saw the stranger being caught by surprise by the unfaltering confidence in Halbrand's voice

He looked between the two of them "What kind of power can two lost wanderers offer?".
"A power greater than you can imagine. But we still have to work a lot to achieve that".
"You sound like a dreamer, Annatar. But you seem sincere enough. Be my guests" the stranger stepped aside and let them reach the end of the bridge.
Luthien let out a sign of relief when her feet touched the ground again and she felt so sick that she almost fell on her knees and threw out.
She felt the stranger's hungry gaze on her and wished to be far away from him, not to be his guest.
"How long have you been travelling?".
"Several days" Halbrand said dismissively "Where's your home?".
"Not too far. Follow me" he preceded them and Luthien walked closer to Halbrand, wishing to ask him if it was wise to go with someone she felt as wicked.
He noticed her pleading eyes and gave a weak nod of encouragement.
The stranger turned to them, his eyes harassing her again.
"Just the two of you with so little supplies? No horses?".
"If you can borrow us a horse, you have our gratitude" Halbrand said sternly.
The stranger scoffed "I don't like horses".
Luthien narrowed her eyes as she caught another of his stalking glances to her.
She disliked everything about him. How his ice blue eyes promised troubles. How his dirty blond hair crowned his pale face. His teasing voice. His arrogance in thinking of taking advantage on wanderers.
"So what is your name?".
He turned, walking backwards, and smirked as he scanned her figure "What do you offer me in exchange for that knowledge?".
Her fingers wrapped around her small sword and were tempted to aim it at him.
"I won't carve your eyes out of that silly head" she spat, unveiling her lack of sympathy for a man who had menaced to cut the bridge under their feet.
He chuckled and turned to Halbrand "Now I know why you can't let her go. I'm Calandir, my lady".
He placed a hand on his chest with a mocking bow.
"Numenorean?" Halbrand asked faking disinterest.
"How did you guess? From a name?" Calandir chuckled with bitterness.
"What is a Numenorean doing in these abandoned eastern lands? Living on his own? Exiled?" Halbrand guessed.
Calandir turned his back and fastened his pace "Being a hermit keeps me close to the gods. Or to my power".
Luthien shot a worried look to Halbrand, who touched her arm to encourage her to keep walking.
They crossed a wood with high bushes and suddenly a glade appeared, revealing a large building.
Luthien halted, confused. That was a bad location for a castle.
Calandir turned and appreciated her reaction "I'm glad to see you like it, my lady. Welcome to my humble home".
Her instinct was screaming at her that something was wrong and that they weren't safe.
The least Calandir could do was trapping them into that beautiful cage and using his axe on them to feed himself.
"We would appreciate some water" Halbrand said, moving closer to her to hold her in case her legs failed her.
"I can offer you more than that" Calandir walked to Luthien to offer her his hand, but she leaned towards Halbrand, who placed an arm around her shoulders and guided her towards the front doors.
Calandir hurried to open them.
"It's a rich castle for a lonely soul like you" Halbrand commented as they entered the building and were surrounded by luxury.
"Being lonely has its advantages. And you saw that I can protect my land" Calandir bragged and threw his axe in a corner, the noise making Luthien startle.
"It's rare to have company. I feel it's my lucky day" Calandir clapped his hands and showed some of the rooms "Feel at home, my lady. You can take a bath and change into better clothes. And you can eat and rest, until you don't want to leave this place anymore".
Luthien stared at him, petrified.
There was nobody else in that castle. She recalled how her palace was full of people and light.
While in that castle there was a sinister silence. And no sign of other people living there.
Just a dim light came from the windows. The tall trees surrounding the glade casted their shadows on the building.
Halbrand patted a comforting hand on her shoulder "Accept what our generous host is offering. Take your time. You will find us here discussing of business".
"Better for you that you can keep your promises, Annatar. Or I'm going to keep something precious to you for myself and kick you out of my lands" Calandir told him in a warning tone, then spoke sweetly to the woman "I'm afraid I didn't catch your name, beautiful".
"Her name's Luthien" Halbrand replied for her.
Calandir's grin almost earned him a loud slap on his face.
Luthien had to clench her fists tight to avoid showing that harsh reaction.
"Luthien. Yes, it truly suits you. Just as it suits you a home like this" he opened a door that revealed a large room "You shall find everything you need. If you need something more, just let me know. We'll be in the dining hall".
Luthien looked at Halbrand.
The idea of being separated for him scared her and she hoped he would intervene.
Instead he took some steps away from her, holding her worried gaze and nodding.
Luthien shot a heavy look at her host. If he meant to separate them so he could take advantage to butcher them, she hoped that Halbrand would be the first to cut him to pieces. She didn't doubt his skill. He had killed Adar and survived hords of orcs.
Calandir was just a man who didn't know what he was doing.
Luthien stepped into the room and heard the door being closed behind her.
The guest room was larger twice her own room at home.
And a big tub filled with water was inviting her.
Luthien hesitated, feeling trapped into a dream that was too beautiful to be real.
Being surrounded by the comforts she had left behind at home to follow Halbrand in his missions.
Luthien felt too shy to undress, but was also tired of the ragged and smelly clothes she wore for days.
Removing them gave her more relief than she wanted to admit.
She touched the water and felt it incredibly warm.
That seemed even more bizarre than the situation she was trapped in, but she surrendered and immerged herself into the tub.
She found perfumed soaps within her reach and used them to get clean.
She lost track of time, but she wished to enjoy the bath forever.
When she noticed that the room was getting darker because the sun was gone, she picked some towels and stepped out of the tub.
She eyed the large bed, but resisted to the need of laying on there and rest. She moved to the wardrobes and opened them, until she found some feminine clothes.
A blue dress seemed too precious, but once she spotted it, she couldn't help but taking it and wearing it.
Suddenly she felt like the daughter of the Stewart of Pelargir again. Maybe even more. Maybe even like a princess.
She hanged her sword by her side to wash away that feeling.