5 - The Power of a Promise

//Old, evil villager Waldreg takes more than one day to turn the key, not few minutes ⏳//

The bells gathered the people in the roads.
A group of soldiers had been spotted coming down the river and the city got ready to welcome them back.
Luthien walked through the people, her joy reflected on their faces.
Healers were ready to take care of the wounded, arms were extended to greet the heroes and hand them what they needed.
Flowers were offered when they left. Food and water when they came back.
Luthien scanned the faces of the soldiers, recognising her own people.
Her brothers came into view and a big smile blossomed on her face.
They were alive.
She kept searching, fearing to find nobody from Numenor in the group.
She was about to give up hope, her fingers growing numb and about to drop the bucket of water she was carrying, when she found him.
Halbrand noticed her staring and smiled at her.
She tried to hold her tears of joy and approached him to offer him the bucket of water.
"Welcome back".

His fingers touched her as he took her offering "Thank you"

She resisted the urge to hug him, recalling that they were in a crowd. And he looked exhausted.
She stepped back when she heard her brothers calling him, summoning him to an urgent audience with the Stewart.
Halbrand turned his head back to her with a bow to dismiss himself.
She watched him walk away and throwing the water on his head to wash away the dirt from the battle as the other soldiers were doing.
Livi pulled her arm, waking her from her dizziness.
"Our intervention was determined in the victory. I heard the village has few survivors left. The rest of the army from Numenor is still there".
"Good" Luthien commented simply.
He came back for her. That thought filled her heart with an emotion she didn't know how to handle.
But he was also the messenger for the Numenorean army, she recalled.
All that mattered was that she saw him back alive. And if an expedition needed to reach the damaged village to help, she was going to join it.

Later she spotted Halbrand exiting the palace, invited by the other soldiers to join them.
"The soldiers are bathing into the river" Livi whispered to her with an allusive grin "It means a good show for our eyes".
Luthien let her guide her towards the woods and the river, where few other women were chucking and hiding behind trees.
Then she realized it was too awkward and she couldn't handle what she could possible see, even from afar.
"I can't go".
Livi rolled her eyes "Oh, come on. Nobody will have to say about it".
Luthien freed her arm from hers "I mean it. I can't".
"You're so boring when you pretend not to be interested in seeing what's under the armor" her friend made some vulgar gesture waving her hands.
Luthien snorted and pressed her palms on her ears, looking away "Enjoy the show".
"I'll enjoying it for you too" Livi said joining the other group of women in their spying.