XXXIV

ARU
"She's on LinkedIn, and her office building is in—ugh, Brunswick, and all the answers are just in my grasp!" Aru rattled off in one breath. 

Aiden clapped politely. "Congrats, Shah. So why aren't you going? You've been putting this off for three days," 

Aiden's living room was light and airy, as she collapsed into the large couch, ruining one of the perfectly-fluffed pillows. 

"Cowardice. I don't want to know what was in that second will," Aru sighed, sinking deeper into the sofa.

Faint footsteps thudded into the living room, muffled by the carpet, as Rudy appeared from the kitchen, a can of whipped cream in his hand. 

"I'm keeping this," he announced, before opening it, and spraying it directly into his mouth. 

"That's disgusting," both Aru and Aiden said, in unison. 

He scowled at them, before showing them the middle finger and going back to his room. 

"What's up with him?" Aru asked, raising her eyebrow. 

"Nothing," Aiden said, rolling his eyes. "He's angsting," he said, dramatically, flicking one of his dark curls out of his eyes. 

Aru didn't know how to respond, as Aiden continued, lowering his voice, "I have a theory that he and Mini are in love with each other— which isn't so far-fetched if you think about it," 

Aru scratched her head. "I mean, that's plausible, but why are we whispering?" 

"He gets weirdly defensive and awkward every time I mention Mini, which only proves my point," 

"Hmm," Aru hummed, fiddling with the end of her braid. 

"Mini texted me that he gave her his jacket, which is kind of suspicious, but—" she continued.

At this point, Rudy poked his head out, his eyes narrowed. "I'm not deaf, I can hear you both." 

"Okay, and?" 

"Mini's just... a really good friend to me, okay?! Nothing more," his ears turned pink as he slammed the door shut. 

Aiden snickered. 

"What's so funny?"

Aiden said, in an even lower voice, "His ears always turn pink when he lies," 

————

"Alright, you've been waiting for too long, you're going to go to Brunswick, and confront Uloopi!" Aiden said, firmly. 

Aru looked down at her whipped-creamless hot chocolate. 

"Can't I finish this first?"

"No, that'll give you more time to come up with excuses to not go," Aiden announced, hooking his hand through hers. 

"What if my mom was involved in illegal stuff?" she blurted, crossing her arms. "I saw how it broke Rudy, to see that his grandfather wanted him dead, how it hurt Leslie, even in her final moments— I don't think I'll be able to handle the fact that a person I love is evil." 

Aiden's expression softened, as he said, "Listen, Shah, the truth is always messy. But you know what you do with the ugly truths?"

"Bottle them up?" Aru suggested.

"That was a rhetorical question, and no, you don't do that. That's a terrible way to cope. You hit the ugly truths in the face," 

"Wow, you've been spending a lot of time with Brynne, huh?"