Mali slams the door and leans against it, fighting to calm her nerves. Swallowing against the nausea rolling through her, she heads back up to her room.

Picking up the brush, she starts to run it through her hair again, then stops. She takes in her reflection, squeezing her eyes shut against the tears.

It's not true! None of it is true! She mentally chants this over and over again. But as she touches her fingers to the raised line of skin on her cheek, doubt again enters her heart.

Is Phillip's love spurred by pity? She suddenly wonders how she can be sure he really loves her. Will he one day get tired of her and leave in search of someone else? Someone prettier? Someone perfect? Logically, she knows Phillip deserves her trust. He has given her no reason to doubt his love, yet distrust has become such a part of her, she wonders if she will ever be rid of it. She wants a normal life with a family of her own and a man who truly loves her. She had hoped that man was Phillip, but confusion now clouds her thoughts, replacing the hope with doubt.

Oh, why did he have to show up today?Why couldn't he have stayed away, or better yet, disappeared from off the face of the earth?

Walking over to the window, Mali watches the storm clouds slowly darken the sky. Closing her eyes, she presses her forehead against the cool glass. She hates the rain. Her hatred of rain began years ago. Each and every time storm clouds occur, she is reminded of the day Phillip almost lost his mother.

And it had been because of her.

She caused him so much pain back then, and through the years her choices hurt him even more, yet he continues to profess his love for her. How can he love her after all she has put him through?

My life is such a mess. I'm a mess!

A burst of anger fills her, and before she knows it, she is running down the stairs out into the rain. Standing in the middle of the backyard she raises her face heavenward crying, "Why is this happening? I know my life is a mess, but don't I deserve a little happiness?"

Lowering her head, she softly cries, her shoulders shaking as the cool rain mingles with her tears.

She feels so lost.

 * * * 

Phillip taps his hands against the steering wheel, waiting impatiently for the light to turn green. He isn't supposed to be at Mali's for another hour and had been heading to the store when the sudden feeling that she needed him made him do a U-turn and head toward her house. He doesn't know what has happened, but he does know she needs him.

When he reaches Mali's house, he knocks hard on the door, his clothes drenched from the short run.

"Mali," he calls and knocks again. Still there is no answer. Leaning over the side of the porch, he peers through the window, raking a hand through his dripping hair, combing it back from his face.

Where is she?

Thinking he should try the back door, he walks around the side of the house. As he reaches the back, he spots Mali standing out in the yard, soaked to the skin, crying. Hot tears burn his own eyes.

Mali looked up as Phillip draws near. Reaching her, he pulls her in his arms, pressing her face against his shoulder. The desperation of her embrace breaks his heart and he aches to know what happened to cause her such pain. Drawing back, he presses a hand to her cheek. "Let's go inside," he whispers, wanting to get her out of the rain. She pulls away.

"What is it?" he asks. As she silently stares at him through pain-filled eyes, a feeling of desperation works it way to the surface. "Talk to me, Mali. Tell me what has happened."