Do you love him, madam?

Start from the beginning

Y/n jumped in surprise after hearing the familiar voice. Her body turned to see Roseanne greeting her with a warm grin.

"M'lady! I was not told you will be visiting." She blushed. "I do apologize for not greeting you. I assumed you were one of my maids." Y/n bowed as she expressed her embarrassment.

Roseanne chuckled at the adorable response.

"No worries, I came to visit your father. However, he happens to not be in the vicinity." She explained. "Also, will you be answering my inquiry?" Roseanne implied the book Y/n was holding.

"Oh! right." Y/n said. She then stared at the book cover, admiring the leathery texture.

"It is a romance novel that I found at the local library. It was an interesting story, so I purchased it." Y/n explained.

"And what is this book called?" Roseanne asked.

"It's Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare." She answered.

Roseanne chuckled through her nose before setting her beverage down on the table.

"I do say. I knew you well enough that you are not much into romance novels. What causes you to change such heart?" Roseanne suspected.

Roseanne notices a piece of paper resting on the table. While Y/n was looking ahead from the window, she picked it up in her hand and began reading what was written.

It was a marriage contract for two individuals to sign their agreement. One had already signed, but the other was still left blank. With this information, Roseanne has confirmed her inner queries.

"Well, I have chosen to attempt a new genre, that is all. There is nothing wrong with doing a new thing." Y/n excused.

"Hm," Roseanne grunted as she set down the paper. "Could it be that you are looking for an inspiration to be in love?"

Y/n could only stand silent. Roseanne observed the young woman whose back was still turned. She wondered what Y/n's expression portrayed. Could her expression be a smile resulting butterflies in her stomach or a frown due to the need of having an idea of being in love?

"Shall we change the subject, madam?" Y/n spoke in a low tone. Like it was a painful whisper.

"As you wish," Roseanne said. "I apologize if I may have caused you to be tense. It has been long since the last time we met."

"Certainly, you have been working from across the sea," Y/n expressed.

"Yes, I have. After I returned from my voyage, I heard you are getting married." Roseanne began.

"Indeed I am, m'lady." Y/n smiled. Roseanne knew the smile was fake.

"May I ask who you will be getting married to?" Roseanne asked.

"It's the eldest son of the Barringtons. The heir." Y/n answered.

"Is that so?" Roseanne said. "How did you meet the heir of the Barringtons?"

"Through my father. It was the party that the Barringtons held, and my family was invited to attend. That is how I met him." She explained.

"I see." Roseanne simply spoke, to which Y/n returned with a nod.

There was silence in the room, with only the sound of flipping papers.

"Mademoiselle, do you love him?" Roseanne wondered.

"I beg your pardon?" Y/n said with her brow creased, offended by the woman's question.

"I must confess, the reason why I am here was because of you," Roseanne started. "With the rumours spreading that you will be getting married by an heir, I could not help but wonder if he treats you well. After all, you will be marrying this man in a few days."