Chapter 16

"So... Now what?"

"What do you mean?"

"You and Declan. What are you going to do? Make it official? Take some time?" Claire asks.

"For now he is going back to London for the pre-season and to make sure Birgit is gone for real, while I stay here. There are some things I also need to deal with before we can take the next step."

"You mean talking with Benjamin."

"Yes. He's back from visiting his family, and he has probably heard the rumors."

Those rumors being Birgit having a tantrum on the main square because she caught me and Declan together (which is kind of true), and then people seeing us leaving the camp's party holding hands.

"I think he will understand. He doesn't seem like the jealous type."

"I hope so" I say with a big sigh.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Hello, Benjamin."

"Hi. Please come in."

"How was Brighton?" I ask, sitting down on his couch.

"It was great. I had a lovely time with my family and my nephews."

"Good. That's good."

"But I think I missed some things while I was away."

"Yeah... About that... I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"Well... I kind of gave you hopes that something could happen between us, didn't I?"

"You actually didn't" he says with a smile.

"Wait, what?"

"If you declined my invitations to go out and having a drink since the moment I arrived here, it was for a reason. And I realized what was that reason the day we walked into that restaurant and you saw Declan."

"I..."

"You heart still belongs to him. There was nothing I could have done there. So I just took this, us, as something fun, as a way to have a good time with a wonderful woman."

"Thank you" I say, nervously playing with my hands. "I've also enjoyed your company a lot. Even if it wasn't anything serious."

"Does that mean that we can still be friends?"

"You want us to be friends?" I say, looking him in the face for the first time since I sat down.

"Of course I do. Don't you?"

"I actually do, yes. I really enjoy talking with you and just... Hanging out, you know?"

"I just hope Declan doesn't get jealous. I don't think he likes me that much judging by the way he looked at me that night."

"I'll talk with him, don't worry."

"So... You guys are back together, then?"

"Yes... And no. It's hard to explain. But we both know that we want this to work, that life is giving us a second chance."

"Good. I wish you the best. I truly do."

"Thank you, Benjamin" I say, hugging him so I don't start crying.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Are you gonna tell me where are we going?" I ask Declan while we walk. He's back in town now that the pre-season is over, his first Premier League game happening next weekend.