Chapter 7

"So I leave for literally three days to visit my aunt, and when I come back you have arguments with both Declan and Birgit that everyone can see and hear, and you finally decide to have angry sex with Benjamin?"

"I didn't have an argument with Birgit, we just talked in a non friendly way. And Benjamin and I only had angry sex the first time, the others were different."

"Oh, yes, sorry for not getting the details right" Claire says, rolling her eyes. "But I guess I was right about him, wasn't I?"

"You were, yes."

"Now what? Are you gonna start dating or something?"

"Oh, no. I don't know. I like the way things are now, no strings attached."

"That can end really bad. You know it, right?"

"It doesn't have to."

"Yeah, sure. But what about Declan?"

"Don't say his name."

"Urgh" she says, rolling her eyes again. "What about football Ken?"

"I don't want to see his stupid face ever again."

"Right..."

"I'm serious, Claire. It's over."

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Lily, has Dom come back already?"

"Yes, he's at the office."

"Good" I say, moving towards the door.

"But wait, he isn't..."

I don't hear the rest of her sentence, her voice lost among the others at the pub. And I regret it the moment I open the office's door and see who is with Dom.

"What the fuck is he doing here?"

"Hello to you too" Declan says.

"Dom?" I ask again.

"Dec is here as a costumer."

"He isn't allowed to come into the pub. I forbade it."

"Yes, sis. You did. But in case you've forgotten, this pub also is mine. 50/50. So if I say he can come in, he can."

"Then I'm the one who is leaving" I say, turning around.

"Wow, so mature" Declan chuckles.

"What did you just say?"

"Nothing" he quickly says.

"I'm leaving, Dom. I just wanted to tell you that there's been a problem with the beer delivery and they'll come tomorrow. Enjoy the company"

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"There was no need to behave like that, you know?"

"I don't know what you are talking about" I say to Dom while we have dinner.

"Earlier today. With Dec. I know you had a big fight, but you could try to be an adult for once."

"I am an adult. But sometimes when you are talking with a kid, the only way for them to understand things is by behaving like them. Why are you laughing?"

"Because that's what he said when I scolded him after you left."

"Yeah, sure. You're making that up."

"I'm not, sis. You and Dec are like destined, but you also are stubborn as hell. Both of you. So you'll probably end up throwing out the window something great, and be miserable for the rest of your life."

"What? I thought you liked that I was happy and dating again."

"I do like seeing you dating again. But you are not happy."

"I am happy" I insist.

"You are not. You definitely have unfinished business with Declan, and until you fix that, you won't be able to move on and actually be happy."

"I've moved on."

"Say it as often as you want. But you haven't, and deep down you know it. And you also know the reason why. So does he."

"What does that mean?" I say, starting to get annoyed.

"I've helped you enough, sis. Now it's time for you to do the work."

"Sometimes you are insufferable, Dominic."

"That's what twin brothers are for" he says with a charming smile.

"Anyway, what did he want?"

"Who?"

"Father Christmas" I say, rolling my eyes. "Who do you think, Dom?"

"Oh, Dec. Yes. He wanted to know if we could close the pub one night at the end of the month to celebrate his parents' anniversary."

"And what did you say?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because his parents have always been lovely with us? Especially his mum with you. Just the other day she defended you at the market."

"She did?"

"Yep. Some women were trashing you because, and you won't like this, Birgit has been going around saying that you want to win Declan back, steal him from her. And also that you are bullying her online."

"I am not doing that!"

"I know, sis. No need to yell. And Dec's mum also knows that it isn't true, and defended you."

"That's... Very nice of her."

"It is. And that's why I think she deserves to have that night with her family. Don't you agree?"

"I guess" I say, focusing on my food.

Declan's mum has always been nice with me. Even after what I did, she would call me to ask how I was doing in Paris. And after I came back, she helped me with everything I needed. In fact, I found Lily thanks to her. So I guess I could put my pride and anger aside for one night, and allow her to enjoy her family like Dom says.