Chapter 13

The days after our excursion with the kids fly by. I'm so busy with the pub and getting everything ready for the surprise Declan and his brothers are organizing for their parents, that I don't have time to think about anything else. Like my feelings for him. Unless he is around helping with something we may need, and those feelings become very present, making me feel like I'm a teenage girl again. Which is what is happening today.

"We'll have it all ready, don't worry."

"Great" he says with a smile, my stomach doing a flip, my cheeks burning. "Let's hope nothing else happens in the next couple of days."

"Let's hope so" I say, getting up from my office desk.

"And... That's Birgit. She is asking where I am. Again" Declan says, checking his phone as he also gets up.

"Is she being more annoying than usual?"

"You can't even imagine. But it'll be over soon."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm breaking up with her."

"You are doing what?" I say, almost choking.

"What you heard. I'm done with her, and for real this time."

"This time? Have you tried to break up with her before?"

"Yeah, a few times. But either I couldn't say the words, or something came up and it wasn't the right moment. But it is now. I spoke with my mum about it, and it is happening."

"Good" I say, trying not to sound too happy.

"That's it? You are not going to say anything mean about her?" he asks with a teasing smile.

"I've moved on from all that. I think there was something on the water that day at the river."

"Sure" he chuckles.

"Oh, sorry to interrupt" Claire says, opening the office door without knocking. "I thought you were alone and..."

"It's ok, I was already leaving" Declan says. "If something happens, I'll let you know."

"Same."

"Goodbye, girls."

"Bye" I say.

"Oh... My... God. What was that?" Claire says the moment the door closes.

"What was what?"

"That! Those smiles when you were saying goodbye!"

"They were just normal smiles" I shrug.

"Oh, no. Those weren't just normal smiles. Remember when you guys were still flirting, that we would go to watch him play football with Dom, and after the game he would always come to say hello before getting changed? You just gave each other the same smiles."

"What? We didn't."

"Yes, you did. I don't know what the hell happened when he told you that it was going to be as if you hadn't met before, if the planets aligned on that exact moment or you were standing on a place with magical powers. But girl, it is starting all over again. And you know what is happening next week..."

The summer festival. The town nearby has been celebrating this festivity since my parents were kids, and they have live music, food, games for everyone... And years ago, Declan and I kissed there for the first time.

"I don't think I'll be going this year. It's his parents' dinner, I have to work."

"But your kissing anniversary is the next day. It can still happen."

"Claire..."

"Hi, sorry" Lily says after knocking on the door, not like others. "I need you downstairs."

"I'll be there in a minute. Thank you, Lily."

"I'll leave you to work" Claire says. "But we are going to the summer festival, so don't make any plans."

"I won't" I say, rolling my eyes.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Sis, everything is perfect, stop moving the glasses."

"That one was dirty."

"No, it wasn't. Can you please stop and relax? It just the Rices coming for dinner, not the Queen."

"Fine. Ok" I say, trying to hide a smile when I emember what I said the day Declan came back to town. "I'm sure that if it was the Queen coming, they wouldn't be making such a fuss." "I'm gonna check if everything is ready in the kitchen."

"It is ready" Dom says, rolling his eyes.

"Then I'll double-check." But before I can leave, the pub's door opens, and Declan's parents walk in.

"Oh, this is beautiful!" his mother says, giving me a hug. "Thank you very much for organizing everything."

"It was our pleasure" I say.

"Where is Declan?" Dom asks after we've greeted his parents and brothers.

"Waiting for Birgit. She wasn't coming, but changed her mind last minute" his mum says, definitely not happy about that change of plans.

A few minutes later, Declan walks in, and I hear myself gasping. I think I have never seen him look this good before. Like... ever. He is wearing a black polo shirt, his hair looking even more perfect than usual. So soft and perfect and...

"Close your mouth, sis. You are drooling" Dom says next to me.

"I'm not."

"Yes, you are. But he looks good, doesn't he?"

I just nod, my eyes still fixed on Declan. And then he smiles at me, making me thank God and all the saints for being behind the counter and able to hold to it, because if I hadn't, I would probably be on the floor.

"What is that smell?" Birgit says, breaking the moment. Birgit. Ugh.

"It's my parents' favourite dish" Declan says, the smile he had completely gone.

"And it is supposed to smell like that? Are you sure they cooked it well and aren't trying to poison us?" she says, looking at me.

"It is supposed to smell like that, yes" Declan's mum says. "Sorry if it is too... Provincial for you."

"Whatever" Birgit says, sitting down. "Do we have champagne?"

"That's for later" Declan says.

"But I want it now."

"Tonight isn't about you, Birgit. Show some respect" Declan spats, catching her by surprise and making me try not to laugh too loud. Something I fail to do, because she hears me, giving me a murderous look.

After that, the dinner goes very smoothly, everyone enjoying themselves. And now it is time for dessert and what Birgit wanted. The champagne.

"Pour a glass for you and your sister" Declan's mum says to Dom.

"But this is your party, Mrs. Rice."

"Oh, nonsense. We couldn't have had such a nice evening if it wasn't because of you two. You are like family" she says while looking at me, a gesture everyone notices. Birgit included.

"Alright then" Dom says, handing me a glass.

"To my dear husband and my beautiful sons" Mrs. Rice says. "To family."

"To family" we all repeat.

"Well, I have an announcement to make" Birgit says after she's drank her champagne in one go. "Since you are talking about family and all that, I'm sure you'll be happy to hear that there is a new Rice on their way. I'm pregnant!" she says, grabbing Declan's arm.

She's pregnant. It can't be real. It just can't... And then my glass is on the floor, breaking on a thousand pieces while I try to breath.

"I... I need to get out of here" I say, running towards the door. I hear Dom calling after me, Declan too. But my head can only process Birgit and those two words, repeating them over and over again. She's pregnant.