Jake

I laid there staring out the window at the ocean, her head resting against my chest. We hadn't spoken a word since before we started kissing and now I didn't want to disturb her and reawake the demon. I was also afraid that I was about five seconds from asking her to marry me. While she irritated me to death, she had a passion that seemed to override everything... she unfortunately was shaping up to be close to my dream girl. Although originally my dream girl was blonde and tan, leggy, and sports obsessed, someone I could work out with. Basically someone who made the wheatgrass smoothies less miserable. But I would trade a wheatgrass Barbie for Erin. That scared the shit out of me. 

A phone started ringing which brought everything back. It continued to ring, to which I sighed. "Erin, get your phone," she groaned into me, sending little vibrations across my chest, and I felt like chucking the phone out the window and having a little do over. "It's not my phone," she whispered, which made me scramble across the room for mine. 

"Hello?" "Jake, I can't take it, I'm giving you custody... I'll be at your apartment tonight." "What?" I think I may actually be losing my mind here. "I'm giving you custody because I can not handle it anymore, you get her, you get our daughter." what the hell do you even say to that "well... ok, then," "so I will be there tonight around 8." "ok." she hung up and I literally felt my head spin. I have to go back to the city now. 

"Erin, I have to leave," she shot up in the bed, watching me race to put my clothes back on "why? What's wrong?" dear God this woman has compassion as well. "My ex-Fiancé, is giving me custody of our kid." her jaw completely dropped, which is when I remembered that most people are not ok with that just being dropped on them. My mother for one was nowhere near happy when I told her I had a kid... she was especially not happy when I didn't marry Hannah. "You have a kid?" I nodded pulling my shirt on which just made her collapse on the bed. "I have to go back to the city now..." as I was patting pockets looking for my keys I remembered I had come down with Erin. "I'll just go find somebody else to take me or borrow a car..." she reached for her shirt climbing out of the bed. "No, I'll take you, I needed to get some work done anyway..." I stood at the edge of the stairs watching as she shoved clothes into those Louis Vuitton Duffle Bags of hers. Do I need to get my kid a gift? First I should probably remember exactly how old and what her name is. Isabelle... her name was, is, Isabelle. I raced down the stairs "I have to grab my duffle, I'll meet you at the car!" I yelled up the stairs before racing through the house to get to my house. Somebody will be in the way, I guarantee it. I began running up the steps to my room, shoving everything I could think of, into my bag before running back down and straight into Lizzy. 

"Where are you going?" she held onto my arms like I was a shoplifter trying to make a break for it. "I don't have much time, Hannah is giving me custody of Isabelle... she says she can't do it anymore, and I'm not quite sure what that means but I'll take it, whatever it is I'm taking it." she smiled patting my shoulders as she let go "good for you! I want to meet my niece Jake, remember that on your way back to Boston... wait do you need a ride, I can..." I shook my head still heading for the door, "Erin's taking me," "oh really? Why's that?" I shrugged "Something about work, now I really have to go!" I ran out the door and back towards the driveway throwing my bag into the open trunk before Erin slammed it shut. 

The drive consisted of mostly silence. Awkward silence. People should never sleep with each other and then have to drive somewhere. No matter if it is about convivence, do not do it. "is it a boy or girl?" she finally asked as we pulled onto the main road, only a few  more hours to go. "Girl, her name's Isabelle, " she nodded passing a car, "Very pretty, I'm sure she's a little gem," I nodded "I haven't seen her in over a year... her mom didn't want to share custody with me since I was on the road... but now she says..." Erin waved her hand "Look Jake, I'm happy for you... but we don't have to keep pretending that there is something between us, it was just sex and a lot of kissing... so we can just move on, maybe we can even run into each other at a coffee shop without me spilling it down one of your hideous shirts." she passed another car, speeding up down the straight shot. "Where is this coming from? I mean really, bringing up the whole coffee thing again? What's with that?" she just shrugged, taking the sunglasses from her hair and putting them on her face. "Just forget it." the cold exterior I had first known and really despised, full of her demon ways and smoking on the roof, was back. It was back, and I'm not sure there is a way to get back the Erin I was five seconds away from proposing to. The constant buzzing, dinging, and ringing of her phone seemed to resume as if they had stayed silent when we actually got along, but now it was all over. Completely over.