CHAPTER 15- CHANCES

"Rebecca, please give her a chance." Dad pleaded. We were having dinner and he brought up the 'stepmother' topic again.

" I don't like her." I mumbled.

"But you barely know her. The reason I was so drawn to her at first was because she reminded of your mother."

"Dad. No offense or anything but she looks like she only wants your money. Look at her. She's too glamorous. And I forgot to ask, what kind of name is Hilda? That sounds like Cinderella's step mother."

"Rebecca don't you dare talk about her like that!" He snapped.

"Right. I forgot. She's your girlfriend. I'm sorry. But you can't expect me to like her already." I rolled my eyes.

"You can't judge someone without knowing them. Give her a chance. I didn't like the way you talked to her. You were very disrespectful. I'm inviting her to dinner tomorrow and Hopefully you'll act nice."

"Dad! But-"

"No ifs ands or buts." He interrupted me. I groaned.

"Dad you're being unfair."

"Actually Becca, it's the other way around. You'll like her. I promise. Just give her a chance."

What was it with chances anyway?

****************************************

"Come on. It's a one time thing. Just this time." Diana pleaded for the millionth time. I frowned. We were at the mall shopping.

"No. No. I refuse to spend my weekend at some stupid club with you and Adam. When did you two became this close anyway? I thought you hated him." I gave her a suspicious look. Was she hiding something?

"Uh..I still do..uh...well...sorta....it. it's. It's you know, hatred. It doesn't last long and...and...Yeah." She failed to make up a sensible sentence. Yup. Something is definitely up.

"Dy, you're blabbering and you can't even look me in the eye. What's going on?" I asked. She straightened herself up and looked straight into my eyes.

"Nothing. Adam and I just came to great terms and we don't hate each other as much as we use to. We're friends."

I gave her a long stare. She looked serious so I let her slide. For now.

"Oh....Kay. Why do you want me to be there? There's Jason. There's Alex. There's Sarah. Why me?" I asked. I purposely added Sarah's name just to make her angry. She seem calm. That's a first.

"I'm going to pretend like I didn't hear Sarah's name. Just...please. Please come with us."

"You do realize that Alex and I are going out tomorrow right?"

"Yes. I asked him. He said that too. He also said that if you go he'll go."

"Fine." I grumbled. She squealed and hugged me so tight I couldn't breathe.

"I love you! I'll just ask Jase and we'll have the time of our lives!"

"Um...what? You're asking Jason?" I asked.

"Yeah." She replied.

I had a feeling this was going to be awkward. Jason's been avoiding me for the past couple days. I was oblivious to what I did wrong to him.

*************************************

JASON'S P.O.V

"I totally kicked your butt." I bragged to Sarah as we got into my car. We went bowling and I will be the first to say I kicked ass back there. She chuckled.

"You're awesome! I'm a loser."

"Don't be so modest. Actually...you're saying the truth."

She smacked me on the arm and I pretended to be hurt. I enjoyed spending time with Sarah. She was funny and nice. I really couldn't understand why Diana hated her so much. Even though I started keeping my distance away from Rebecca, my mind was always on her. It was like she put a spell on me or something. I decided to stay away from her because I didn't want to jeopardize her relationship with Alex. She was happy with him and that's what I wanted. I want her to always be happy even though I wasn't the one who was putting a smile on her face. She deserved nothing less. I knew Alex only dated her to make me feel like shit in the first place. I didn't realize that he hated me that much.

Watching them together was breaking me. There was no way I could take it anymore. I hated that I wasn't the one holding her and kissing her. I hated that I wasn't the one who made her smile so brightly all the time. I hated that I couldn't call her mine.

"Is there something wrong?" Sarah asked me concerned. I realized that I gripping the steering wheel tighter and my knuckles were turning white. I gritted my teeth.

"No. There's nothing wrong." I muttered staring ahead as I drove. I felt her hand touch my arm.

"You can tell me. You're my friend now. I'm your friend." She said low enough that it made me want to tell her everything. Should I?

"It's just..it's just that I really like Rebecca but I don't think she feels the same way. It's stupid really. Forget it." I mumbled frustrated.

"She doesn't deserve your love if she doesn't care about how you feel. Look, Jason I know that it has only been three weeks but I see that you have a big heart. You deserve better than what you're getting." I let her words sink in. She was right. I deserved better than that but Becca was worth it. Totally worth it. She was my bestfriend and all I wanted was her happiness. I wanted to make her happy.

"I guess you're right." I smiled at her. She grinned.

"I know. I've been through this before. Just give yourself a chance to forget and have fun."

****************************************
REBECCA'S P.O.V

Tonight was the night. I had to meet Hilda tonight and dad made me promise that I would be respectful or else.

I chose to wear a light green dress which complimented my eyes and curled my hair for the ridiculous occasion. Hilda here I come. I walked down the stairs and I spotted Hilda kissing my dad on the cheek. I frowned.

"Hello Rebecca. You look beautiful." She complimented me. I smiled sweetly at her. She was trying to win me over.

"Thank you Hilda. You look beautiful as well. I wanted to apologize for the way I acted the last time we met. I was totally disrespectful." I apologized. She smiled genuinely at me. Well, only if she knew that dad made me rehearse that line before she came.
"It's ok Becca. I hope that we get to know each other better."

I nodded and we walked into the dining room. The food was delicious. It was quite a miracle that dad cooked like a chef. Men are usually horrible at cooking. Dinner went smoothly and I found out that she had a daughter but she was currently visiting her aunt and she would be back next week. And that's when dad came up with the stupid idea that she should visit sometime so that we could spend some time together. I personally hated the idea but Hilda and dad agreed.

My life was being predicted. When will I get the chance to choose what I wanted to happen in my life?