'Very wise,' Detla nodded, moving to Yara. 'And what have you, Yara?'

'Daggers,' she said, 'more for throwing, for a bit of range.'

'Not something I would've chosen, but I admire the choice.'

Next was Daarion, grasping a long sword with the tip sticking into the sand.

'A longsword,' Detla scratched a scar on his chin, 'your choice or your friends'?'

'Mine, I read it's one of the most versatile weapons. And some of the greatest Valkans have wielded long swords.'

Detla grunted, nodding as he stepped aside and listened to the other students' choices of weaponry.

Night came rather quickly. The students had the excitement of newfound weaponry as company the whole day, learning the scope as they trained on. Two paladins sat on the castle steps, leading towards the hostel. The very two paladins who watched over Daarion as he trained under the moonlit sky for the past two years. As Daarion approached, the two paladins were arguing over some young wench they saw that day in town.

'Oy,' one paladin said, 'what are you doing up so late, boy? Fighting your friends again?'

'No,' Daarion said, 'but I am training tonight.'

'Aye,' the other paladin said, 'and who is that.'

'That'll be you,' Daarion nudged his head in the direction of the paladin with a longsword strapped on his back.

The two paladins laughed for a moment. 'Isn't that Detla's job?' the one with the longsword said.

'Aye, it is,' Daarion grinned, having the confidence that he grew into these past years. 'But what can Detla do? I am training then, am I not?'

The paladin nodded and stood; his armour shining from the glimmering moon and stars. 'Very well, call me Axel-Axel Alwyn. Come on then.'

'Careful there, Axel,' the other paladin shouted, 'you don't want to lose to a pup.'

Axel smiled, rather than not saying anything inappropriate before the boy.

He stepped on the sand; his heavy-plated boots sinking halfway in.

'So, boy,' Axel said, 'what weapon do you choose?'

'I've recently adopted the longsword, and seeing that you're a master with the longsword, I'll gladly learn from you. Also... my name is Daarion.'

'The longsword ey?' Axel pulled the longsword from his back. 'Let's get to it then, boy. Do you know how to use a longsword?'

'Somewhat. I do have a short sword which I've been using for over three years.'

'A short sword and a longsword cannot be used in the same manner. Yes, they share similarities, but they're still not the same. A sword like this requires two hands-and respect it above all. Now in later stages of your training, you'll be able to use itsingle-handedlyy.'

Daarion nodded as the paladin spoke, soaking in all the knowledge.

'Now, in a battle-have you heard of half-swording?' the paladin asked.

'I've heard of it, yes,' Daarion said. 'Never seen it before however.'

'Primarily you're using the blade itself,' Axel hugged the longsword's blade with his heavy armoured palm. 'This is half-swording. You'll be nimble, quick, and strong. It also supports in penetrating armour-not that a Valkan needs the extra power behind their already inhuman strength. Never be afraid to fight with the blade in hand.'