Chapter 36 - Roommate or not roommate?

"Wheeeeeeee! This is so much fun!"

Draco, as a snake, slithers in the warm water, going back and forth into the bathtub. I chuckle. Sleeves rolled up, I let my index finger run along his spine.

"We should have done this sooner!" he exclaims.

"Thank Mione. She bought a few books about tropical snakes just before Christmas, in a Muggle bookshop. She's the one who suggested this idea!"

He keeps swimming into the few centimetres of water, apparently enjoying himself a lot. I stare at him, trying to pluck up courage.

This is early March. Time went by, but I had been incapable of talking to him to share my anxiety. Now I have my back to the wall. In less than 24 hours, I will bring the Slytherin boy to St Mungo and the doctors will undo the spell that turned him into a reptile.

What will become of me... of us? What will happen to our relationship when he won't depend upon me anymore? Today he has to rely on me to talk to others, to go from one place to another... but in one day, he'll be completely independent again. Maybe he'll be so happy to be free he'll forget about me. Maybe he will be relieved not to stay with me anymore. That thought makes me feel hugely sad.

Shaking myself, I try to stop being so pessimistic. Even though both culprits had been arrested, he didn't ask to go back to the Slytherin house, he stayed in the room with me. Ok, it's more convenient since I can stay with him when he turns into the snake. But still! He never mentioned it once!

Also, we keep having sex frequently. Maybe he's just horny, but each time he takes me, he treats me with great caution. He worries about my well-being. He keeps me into his arms while sleeping.

I take a deep breath and take the plunge.

"Malfoy, can I talk to you for a second?" I say hesitantly.

"Sure."

That's silly, I know, but it's easier to face him when he's in the snake's skin.

"What did you plan to do... once you'll get your NEWTs?" I ask.

"Hum... My plan is to find a job at the Department of Mysteries" he lets out. "I've heard they're hiring now, they have vacant posts. Why so?"

He stops swimming in the bathtub and raises his head to look at me, I gulp loudly. I hope he can't sense my stress!

"Well, I- Er, actually I wondered-" (I sniff, trying to maintain a certain composure.) "Since you are going to work for the Ministry and... I am going to become, you know, an Auror... we could... As we will work to the same place, in London, I, er, I-" (He stares at me, I blush, embarrassed.) "Do you know I have a house?"

He chuckles, bewildered.

"Good Old Slytherin, Potter, you're not clear at all!"

I bite my lips.

"Okay, hum, I inherited a house from my godfather... Sirius. Sirius Black was my godfather. Would you like to share the place with me?"

He sighs, exasperated.

"You didn't speak in Parsleltongue, you dimwit!"

"Shite!" I exclaim, frustrated. "Do you want to be my flatmate after our studies?"

He freezes.

"Come again?" he lets out, slightly shocked.

"Oh please" I wince. "Don't make me repeat it a second time!"