A Brush with Death

Mulai dari awal

"Yes..." Danielle narrowed her eyes at him. "How did you know that?"

"Ruth couldn't help but overhear your dad talking to mine."

"Figures," Her fingers drummed on the table. "She was always sneaky but I admire her love for books...how you three had this love for books, in general."

"It's hereditary, I guess," Liam smiled. "Dad has his own collection in the library."

"I know, I've seen it and even borrowed some as well." She tucked her dangling hair behind her ear, eyeing the menu on the table. "What surprises me is that he's still collecting."

"It's his hobby, his safe haven," explained Liam. "It's the only time he could relax from all the work in the company and the farms."

The fingers trailing down the items on the table menu stopped. Danielle stared blankly at the table, deep in thought that Liam mistook it as a want to change the subject of their conversation. Liam flipped the pages of his book lightly, waiting for Danielle to talk.

"Liam..." Her voice sounded empty, like some kind of guilt had sucked all the merry sounds therein. Danielle didn't bother looking up but the silence they were making in between sentences was slowly killing Liam, his eagerness to find out what this was all about was at its peak.

"Dani," he hesitated. Even though this was nothing more than a friendly conversation, and even though he and Niall weren't officially together, Liam felt like he was cheating. It sounded preposterous at first but, what if Niall suddenly walks in and finds him talking to Danielle?

Liam imagined how Niall would react and it wasn't pretty. If ever that happens, their relationship would go back to zero or even negative, if life wasn't feeling kind at all. But he managed himself to finish his question. "What's this about?"

Danielle finally looked up. She was biting her lip that it was turning red. Her nails were scratching the table but made no marks on it. As she stared at Liam, the Wolverhampton lad could help but feel that whatever this was, it had something to do with him.

____________________

"I still think you should've let them make the cake too, Lou." Niall urged Louis as he was stepping out of the car. The Doncaster lad followed behind him as they walked towards the diner that Harry had called in for a reservation during lunch.

"And I still don't think I should be eating dinner with you," Niall eyed him worryingly. "It's yours and Haz's date after all."

"Nonsense," Louis brushed him off. "Harry wanted you to eat with us. Oh and by the way," he added, "I've already called Zayn to tell him I'm stealing you until tomorrow. So, I guess, you'll be sleeping in London tonight."

"Oh how wonderful," Niall said sarcastically. "I'll be treated to creaking beds, cursing, and moaning all night. I'll have a great night's sleep."

Louis ruffled his hair. "We're not doing anything like that tonight for you, Nialler." The older lad's eyes narrowed, accompanied with a smirk on his lips. "But is that really why you're feeling so unhappy to sleep here with us? Or is it because Liam's not here?"

"Louis!" Niall hissed. "Not now, please." But he was still blushing nonetheless. The older lad laughed and connected their arms, pulling Niall closer to him. Niall was still blushing when Louis muttered, "So, where did the two of you sneaked off to that night?" The younger lad's eyes went wide and found Louis smirking, eyes darkening.

Niall gulped. "I–"

"Do you have reservations, sir?" Niall didn't notice that they were right in front of the maître d'. The balding man in a waistcoat greeted them with a warm smile. "Yes," said Louis casually. "Table 12, I think. We're with the curly haired gentleman..."