Chapter 27: Iknimaya

Above, Bob the Ikran giving us a nice smile for the souvenir photo.

Delane's point of view

Me: Not too nervous, Jake?

Jake: About what?

Me: What do you think, beta?

He looked at me with a small smile on his face as we made our way to the link modules. In the cabin, Norm and Grace were starting to launch the links. Grace for Jake's module and Norm for mine.

Jake: I don't know what you're talking about.

Me: Oh, come on!

Grace: Stop bickering, you two!

Jake: It's because we love each other.

I elbowed him, making him grimace.

Jake: Hey!

I stuck my tongue out at him, before going to my pod and lying down on it. As the days went by, I could see that he and Trudy were getting closer. This didn't surprise me too much, considering what I saw in the cockpit during the departure to site 26. I was happy for him and it probably helped to reconcile with Jake. Plus, I could see that he was a more mature and fulfilled person than when he arrived on Pandora.

Norm: I'll start the link. How are things going with Tsu'tey? I noticed you stopped calling him hammerhead.

Me: Let's just say I'm in a good mood.

Norma finished initiating the procedure, before turning toward me. I could hear the shrill sound of the rings spinning, for the brain scan to ensure the safety of the bond

Norm: Really?

Me: We were able to find common ground. And I shouldn't take too long. Otherwise, he's going to get even more grumpy than he is

I lay down, saying these words, before lowering the lid. Ready for another day at the omatikayas and to escort Jake to his Iknimaya.

Later on,

I prepared Txampay with Tsu'tey next to me. Tsu'tey did the same with his mount and I could read his concern through his ears. The Na'vis are so expressive...It was so easy to read their feelings, looking at their ears, their tails and even their steps. Like cats.

Me: Anything wrong, Tsu'tey?

Tsu'tey: Nothing important

Me: You know...your ears are like headlights. And now they tell me "I have something on my mind". So?

He rolled his eyes, staring at me.

Tsu'tey: Something personal.

Me: Okay, grumpy. Tell me when you feel like talking. This not related to Jake, I hope?

Silence was my answer and he got on his mount, followed by me on mine. We soon joined the group of young people who had to pass the test, including Jake. Jake smiled at me and I smiled back at him, before motioning for us to start riding.

Even though he wasn't as good as me, he was able to hold his own. I had to admit that Lutsey was a good teacher, because I didn't see him flinch once.

Me: Jake has improved greatly, don't you think?

Tsu'tey: Yeah.

Me: Don't be a grouch! Come on, give me a little smile!

He turned his eyes, in a proud posture, amusing me. The trip was calm, soon arriving at the floating rocks attached by lianas, leading to the Iknimaya. I dismounted and went to Jake who was observing this, assessing with his eyes and realizing the whole journey to be done