Students and Kitchen Tables

Chapter Two

*Hyolyn's POV*

7 Years had passed. 7 years of being alone, of not having anyone. At least I still have Chewy, otherwise I think I may have gone insane. My 19th birthday is approaching in the next few weeks, but I doubt anyone has remembered.

"Hyolyn!" Bora yelled from downstairs. I had finally been moved from the cupboard under the stairs to the basement. The cold, dark, most likely to be haunted, basement. "Why hasn't the kitchen been cleaned yet?" She spat.

This is what it is like... all the damn time.

"Well?" Her nasally voice dragged through me. "You know my mom told you to clean it well over an hour ago, clean it now. I am going to a party, so make me some food before I leave." Can she just disappear to college already.

Rolling my eyes, I wiped down the table when Kara skipped into the kitchen, pigtails and all. She's 8 now, her birthday was last week. There was a really big party, to which I was not invited to. Not that I exactly cared. I still had to send my best wishes (forcefully) and buy her something with the little money I have.

9pm while 4am, I work in a local cafe. The boss is nice, he usually gives me a little extra some nights when there's been some particularly drunk or difficult customers. He isn't a bad guy, he doesn't try anything on. People like him give me that last hope about humanity.

"HYOLYN!" She screamed.

"Yes Kara?" I sighed. I can't believe I have to be nice to this bitch. 8 years old or not, I'm like her servant.

"Make me food." She poked my leg.

"What would you like?" I finished cleaning the table and countertops.

"Bibimbap. Now." She folded her arms.

"You will have to wait a little while, I have to make it." Aaaaaand that's when she started crying, my dad running into the kitchen almost immediately.

"Princess what's wrong?" I actually wanted to throw up.

"Hyolyn won't make me Bibimbap," she sniffed.

"I didn't sa-" I began, but his hand collided with my cheek. This is normal now. If I don't do something straight away, this is what happens. This is light, there's been worse.

"You better make her food right now, or you won't eat for the rest of the week." He snarled in my face.

"I told her I was going to make it, just to give me a little time to make it," I whispered, cowering away.

"HYOLYN WHERE IS MY FOOD?" Bora screamed.

"I'm making Bibimbap now," I washed my hands.

"Well, I don't want bibimbap, I want Kimbap."

"But we don't have enough to make kimbap," I tried to argue.

"BIBIMBAP BIBIMBAP!" Kara yelled at the table.

"Quit lying.We went shopping yesterday, there's plenty." She spat back.

For the next hour I cooked.

"I'm going mom!" Bora yelled. No thank you, no nothing.

"Appa!" Kara ran to my dad. No thank you, no nothing.

"Princess!" He scooped her into his arms. Like he used to do to me at that age. Just a year before he met JiEun. Before my life turned into hell.

***

There was a knock at the door about 7pm, just as I was about to talk Chewy for his walk and then start work.

"Uh, annyeong?" I opened the door, every other person refused.