Why Is She There? - Chapter 62

-What. Is she doing. Here? – It's over. That tone of voice he hasn't heard for a long time. Jeno turns around to just verify the obvious. It was his mom, and her gaze had so much anger that even he was surprised.

-Mom! Long time no see! – Sofia says smiling at her. Jeno sighs heavily.

-I asked what she is doing here, Jeno. She is not welcomed here. – His mom says looking directly at Jeno.

-I didn't know about this. – He says.

-Oh, yes you did. I'm back, miss Lee. And I told Jeno that I'm ready to be his partner again. – Sofia says and Jeno's mom finally looks at her.

-Don't you dare getting in my son's life again, did u hear me? – His mom says pointing her finger at her face.

-I'm good for him, miss Lee. If he just gave me a chance, I would make him pass the test he wants. Instead, he is losing his time with that girl who has nothing to offer to him! – She says in a higher tone.

-WE GAVE YOU MORE THAN A CHANCE! – She yells and Sofia goes silent. – We opened the door of our house for you! We made you our family! And what did you do to us? You turned your back at us! That's who you are, Sofia! – Her heavy breath makes Jeno start to get concerned.

-Mom... Calm down. Let's not do that today. Not in your birthday, please. – Jeno says and his mom breathes in deeply. She takes a few seconds to recover.

-Get out of my house. I don't wanna see you again. And I swear if you don't leave, I'll put you out myself. – She says and turns around walking to the garden. Sofia sighs rolling her eyes.

-What did you expect? – Jeno asks with a serious tone and she looks at him.

-Not very different from that actually, but you're the one who is surprising me the most, Jeno. - She says walking to the front door, but stopping to look at him. - I thought you would be happy to see me. Weren't you who asked me to come back? - She says with a sly tone and Jeno clenches his jaw.

-Yeah, 2 years ago. - He says looking away.

-And how could a person change so much in two years? - She asks looking deeply at his eyes. Her steps bring her closer to him, but he moves away.

-You tell me. You were the one who got unrecognizable in a matter of seconds. - He says now looking at her too.

          Her sarcastic smile dropped to a serious face, staring at him like she had many things to say. Or better saying, not many things to say, but many things locked inside their minds. The space was filled up with the many voices from the garden and Jeno's mom's favorite song playing on the stereo, until Jeno heard someone cleaning the throat. Looking over the street, he sees you. His lungs seem to have lost the ability to breathe. He had totally forgot you were coming.
          After taking the bus, you walked by the streets practicing the words you would say to Jeno's mom. You wanted her to know how grateful you were to be invited to her birthday, and also, that you had bought a gift for her from the bottom of your heart. Already spotting her house, you took a deep breath and got closer, but the view you got was not the one you were expecting. Jeno and Sofia.
           For the second time in your life, you felt that pain in your chest that you felt when you caught Julian with Rylee. This time was a little different though. You felt like you were slowly, little by little, losing him. Why would she be there in such important date? Has he invited her to come too? You thought they hated her, especially his mom, but if she is there, in front of their door, it doesn't look like it's the case.
           A war against an enemy that you had no chance. That's what your mind told you. Hate and love. What's the difference between them? Both are what they are. A deep and intense sentiment for another person.