Echo Zane

Echo Zane sat alone in the top floor of the lighthouse, curled up in the corner. He had been there for what felt like ages. He had already cried out all of his tears, so now he just sits there with Gizmo, excepting that this is his fate. He had heard nothing but the sound of crashing waves and seagulls for years, so when a new sound was made, he startled up to look out the window. A vehicle sped across the ocean towards the island. It came to a splashing halt as it reached the sandy shore. Gizmo let out a series of unsure beeps while backing into the corner again. Echo watched intently as a boy dressed in blue jumped out of the boat. His feet landing on the sand made a satisfying crunch. A second person remained in the driver’s seat. The two appeared to be talking to each other, with the driver seeming concerned for the other. Then Echo Zane could finally make out a bit of the conversation.

“But here I feel closer to her… I think I’d like to stay here for a while.” Said the blue ninja.

“Then do it, if it does you some good! Rediscover your smile!” Said the black one in the boat.

“Take care Cole!”

“You too Jay! Whenever you want me to come pick you up, just call!”

With that, the boat left, and the blue one started to walk up the stairs leading to the front door. The rusty nindroid panicked as he scrambled to try to hide both himself and Gizmo. He heard the door creak open as he threw the last bit of rubble and trash on top of them in an effort to hide. The sound of footsteps grew louder and louder until it stopped in the room. Right next to him. The robot could feel the ninja’s presence looming over them. Gizmo wiggled around to try to get Echo Zane to loosen his hugging grip. The movement caused the trash to slide off, revealing their presence to the ninja. The two made eye contact for a long while before the blue ninja knelt down to the droid’s eye level. He gave a tired chuckle.

“Echo Zane! Long time no see! It’s me, Jay! How have you been?!”

The rusty nindroid sat up with a confused look on his face. Jay immediately understood that he too, had completely forgotten about the time-line with Nadakhan. It was probably for the best though…
Echo stood up and tilted his head.

“I have no memory of ever meeting you. Are you sure we have been acquainted?”

Jay didn’t really know how to respond to that, nor did he feel like explaining it, so he shook it off and reintroduced himself. Echo did the same for both him and Gizmo. The two sat down at the table in the middle of the room and talked for a while. After the long conversation, Jay realized how depressed Echo Zane seemed. He wasn’t smiling nearly as much as he did back when they fought the sky pirates. Jay put his hand on the nindroid’s shoulder.

“You’ve been stuck here for a long time, huh?”

Echo Zane nodded as he turned his head away and stared at the floor.

“How about we get you out of here? I could call one of my vehicles to come pick you up. The autopilot could take you to the nearest land mass!”
The nindroid began perking up.

“Really?! You’d do that for me?”
Jay happily agreed; stating that he’ll try calling for his jet in the morning. That night, Echo Zane was genuinely happy for the first time in forever. He and Gizmo slept by Jay to keep the ninja company. Jay had previously mentioned about having recently lost someone dear to him, and that the events made him sad. Echo did not like to see his new friend sad, so he figured keeping him company was the least he could do to help him feel less lonely. It made him feel less lonely too. So that night, for the first time ever, Echo Zane fell asleep with a smile on his face.

The sun rose over the horizon, practically blinding the two while they woke up. Gizmo had somehow managed to escape his friend’s hug, and was already up and making tea. It was one of the rust bucket’s many talents. After enjoying one of the best cups of tea he’d ever tasted, he kept his promise and called in his jet with the long distance remote. It wasn’t long before it arrived at the lighthouse, but to Echo Zane, it felt like forever. Jay guided him into the back seat of the cockpit and closed him in.