Chapter 2.5: Meeting Time

Start from the beginning

Karasuma still stared down the target, "You haven't answered my question."

"I am quoting the philosopher Nietzsche." The octopus pulled out the philosopher's book from his robe, Also sprach Zarathustra.

Karasuma stared at the recording camera, "Sir, I have no intention of disobeying these orders. However, I do not understand."

"At this point, we have no other means of keeping him under control. We have no choice but to accept his conditions."

Karasuma slowly lifted his gun, "I suppose the game has already begun?"

"Feel free. It will be quicker to show you than to try to convince you with words." The octopus put his book back in his robe and stood up, "Allow me to polish you!"

The glass shattered and broke down to dust as Karasuma began firing at the tentacled monster. The octopus dodged the bullet, leaving a dent in the wall. Karasuma continued firing, each round missing as the creature got closer.

The octopus caught the seventh bullet between his feelers, still smoking from the shot. He laughed as he held the bullet up, revealing that the front of Karasuma's gun had been broken off.

As the pieces dropped, Karasuma pulled out a knife from behind his back and began attacking the octopus, "You said we have one year, correct? What are you trying to pull?" He stepped over a small dark red messenger bag as he stood in a defensive position and continued to stab.

"Don't get me wrong."  The octopus dodged pulling Karasuma forward as he moved to the side, "After considering many possibilities, I concluded this should be a fair condition for both sides."  He moved behind Karasuma as the man turned around to stab him, holding the back of his neck.  However, he quickly dodged to the side.

"Talk about an unilateral decision!"  Karasuma continued his quick attacks, but the octopus was quicker, dodging every stab.

"It's a compromise!"  Karasuma jumped back, realizing his attacks weren't working.  He looked at the table holding the tea and macarons, and back at the octopus.  In a swift movement, he kicked the table over with his left foot, the desserts flying in the air.

This shocked the octopus, leaving him wide open for Karasuma to tackle him to the ground and stab him with his knife through the heart.  When the octopus stopped moving Karasuma stood up, thinking he got him.

He turned his attention to a bed in the corner of the room, the sides covered with a long sheet.  Still monitoring the octopus, he walked over, picking up the messenger bag in the process.  When he saw that the creature was still down, he bent down and lifted up the sheets, revealing a small girl hiding under the bed.

Karasuma's mouthed opened in surprise, disgusted that the creature would kidnap a child for his demands.  The girl had snow white hair and blood red eyes.  She scooted backwards under the bed, but Karasuma stopped her.

"Hey, it's okay.  I'm not going to hurt you."  The girl turned her attention towards her.  Karasuma held up her bag, "This is yours, right?"  She scurried out from under the bed to grab her bag.

"T-Thank you."  She muttered quietly as she put it on, clutching tightly onto the strap.

Karasuma placed both hands on her shoulder, "Everything will be alright. Don't worry, we'll get you back home."  The girl looked down, twisting her bag's strap. Karasuma took a deep breath, "My name is Karasuma. Do you mind telling me your name?"

She spoke softly, "My name is Kanna."

"It's nice to meet you, Kanna." The girl gave a soft smile.

Their introductions were interrupted by the sudden slithering of the octopus.  Karasuma stood up and placed the girl behind him.  The octopus stood back up, twisting the knife, revealing that instead of his heart, it hit the book he was hiding.