viii

The past

Before the Monaco GP would begin, Charles had asked his close friends and family to come over for breakfast at his place. Two long tables were placed in Charles' living room and fifteen people were enjoying breakfast.

Liliana and Lorenzo became friends as well. Well, Liliana kinda became a family friend. It all started when there was an issue with a vessel of the family and Charles called Liliana for help. Ever since that moment - three months ago - the bond between the family became stronger. Liliana would help the family when it was needed and vice versa.

"I feel so underdressed when I see all these people," Liliana mumbled and looked at Lorenzo.

His eyebrows raised. "Why?"

"I don't know. Everybody looks so classy; perfect hair, all dressed up in nice clothes, heels. And there's me: a skirt, a casual top and trainers. I didn't even bother to do my hair," she smirked and shook her head. "I wanted to wear the Ferrari shit, but that was over the top."

"Nah, you're not underdressed. Wear what is comfortable."

"If I knew that people would wear this, I would've picked something else to wear," she admitted.

"I'm not dressed up either, so we are both underdressed," Lorenzo shrugged. "Don't worry what other people think of your outfit. You're here to support Charles and watch the race, not to be at a 'who is dressed the nicest' competition."

"Yeah, but you always wear clothes like this," she muttered. She pressed a thin line on her lips and slowly nodded. "I'm so not used to the lifestyle here," she whispered.

They laughed at each other and laughed.

"I'll just follow you," Liliana said.

"Sounds like a plan," Lorenzo replied.

The entire weekend was hectic. It was Liliana's first time being at a GP in general. And even though there were tons of people around her who were familiar with this, Liliana still felt lost. She sometimes would sit with Charles' family, and then with Sylvie and her friends, sometimes on her own, or talk with other guests around the paddock. Walking around the paddock felt rich, but walking through Monte Carlo always felt rich. Yet it was different.

"Lili," Charles said and grabbed a chair so he could sit next to her.

"Charles," Liliana said and took a sip of her coffee.

"What do you think of it? This weekend?"

"It feels like I am living in the dream," she smiled. "It's chaotic, but I am loving it."

A smile grew on his face. "That's good to hear. It's been a good weekend so far."

"I hope it stays like that."

"I don't have too much hope for that."

"Give it all and do your best and you will get there."

Charles looked down and shyly smiled. He was living for her positive spirit. Everyone here was in a good mood. "I'm sorry, though, that I don't have much time."

"You're the star of the race, Charles. I didn't expect you to have a lot of time," she warmly smiled and put the cup back on the table.

He looked up and nodded. "And what about some company?" Charles saw that she sometimes would be alone or uncomfortable. Or she would be third wheeling him and Sylvie.

Liliana looked questionably at him, also like she was thinking. "Just fine. Why?"

"Just checking, because I saw that you were alone sometimes."