The Ghost Monument Part 4

Start from the beginning

"You went into the ruins without knowing what was there. You want to keep going without knowing why its bad to travel at night?" The Doctor spoke facing the women.

"Whatever happened here, it's in the past. What does it matter to you?" Epzo spoke joining the conversation.

"This was a living, breathing planet once, with an ecosystem, organic life, and a population. There was a catastrophic event here. And as hard as it is for you to understand, you are not the only life form in this universe. Some of us feel a duty to others who might be in trouble. So fix your wound, take one of your heroic naps, and we'll wake you when we leave, if you're lucky."

"Fine."

"That was hot." You spoke.

"Now do me a favour give me something that will finally make sense of this planet." The Doctor said sonicing the room. "That's more like it. Angstrom, bring me that route mappy thing."

Angstrom walked closer to the Doctor and passed her the tracker.

"If we sync it, this shows us the whole network of tunnels. Your friend Ilin worned us not to travel at night. We could use the tunnels to keep moving while it's dark, avoiding whatever's on the surface." The Doctor explained.

"It's better than that, though. Look."  Angstrom pointed to the map and you walked closer so u could take a look. "There's the site of the Ghost Monument. This network could help us cut a diagonal through the route, then bypass most of the mountain terrain. We could cover the distance in half the time."

"Well, if you leave now, you could get there before Sleeping Beauty. You could win." Graham spoke.

There was a noise and the map started to glitch.

"What was that?" Graham asked.

"There's something through there." The Doctor spoke and ran off, you, Angstrom and Graham followed.

You came into a room with markings on the floor.

"Inscriptions on the floor." The Doctor spoke.

"What is it, some sort of cave painting?"

"Almost." You spoke looking at the Inscriptions.

"Left by the people who worked here." The Doctor explained.

"Can you read it? What does it say?"

The slowly walked forward. " 'We are scientists. Abducted, tortured and made to work, while our families are held hostage. We're forced to find new ways of destruction. Poisons, weapons, creatures. We gave them our minds and they made us the creators of death. This planet has been left scorched and barren from our work. The atmosphere and water are toxic. Killing machines and creatures inhabit every corner. We had no choice but to obey.... The Stenza.' "

"You're joking." You spoke sarcastically and rolled your eyes.

" 'We are trying to destroy all of our work before they use it against others.' There's two words below that. 'They're coming.' That's how it ends."

"The Stenza? That's the thing we stopped in Sheffield, right?" Graham asked.

"Yep." You spoke popping the p.

"You know the Stenza too?" Angstrom spoke.

"My wife died because of them." Graham said and you placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Mine too. I'm sorry. They took our planet, sent us into hiding, cleansed millions of us."

There was a muffled scream and everyone looked at the direction it came from. The Doctor ran and Angstrom pulled out her gun and followed the Doctor, you and Graham quickly followed.