Chapter Sixty Five

Start from the beginning

I'd never seen him so petrified before, and while part of me had been indoctrinated into the believe that if they were mated, perhaps they were meant to be, because I could tell no matter what Lowell thought of his brother that was how he felt deep down, I finally realised without a doubt, what an abhorrent predicament my friend was in.

I saw the heavy footsteps of the wolves, Bazile stepping in front of him nearly brushing against him, massive bodies that looked designed to kill, large heads and slanted eyes, a snout transformed by the baring of fangs. I felt the fear coming off of Jeffrey as his eyes became softer, the sweat on his brow.

Everything became very sharp to me.

And suddenly I moved on instinct, leaping between the three wolves and driving myself between them at their level, between even Jeff and Bazile, between him and anyone.

In the forefront of my mind I thought I had to let Jeff get away so he could breathe, because I knew the look he was giving me.

The softening gaze, like he was no longer looking at the scene in front of him. The sweat on his brow and the posture that was deadly still.

If I gave it a moment he would begin to crouch and look up at me with that soft gaze, his face flushed, and if I asked him what the problem was, he would not manage the first consonant of any word through the stuttering.

My friend very rarely had anxiety attacks, and when he did, I had learned what to do, bring him to a quiet isolated area and wait with him while he dealt with it.

But I noticed the changes a moment later than I should have, because the first thing that seemed odd to me was not the fact that the world had shifted into an altered view, but that everyone's eyes were on me. 

I suddenly felt as though I could better read the expressions of the wolves, the posture and the intent, that I turned my head and saw Jeff looking at me with wide eyes, not terrified but filled with shock.

I was on all fours, I looked down at my feet and saw paws, the angle of my head was different, seeing the house from a perspective I had never seen before.

I felt the dread somewhere deep in my chest, but shifted back quickly. I did not know how I did it, I only willed myself to, being stuck with shock meaning instinct was carrying my limbs at this point.

The room was quiet.

"Shift back." I told them, my voice quiet and shaken, and Lowell was the first to storm back over to my side. 

I looked up at him, now possibly a similar shade to Jeff, though he was naturally a little darker skinned than me.

I shuddered out a breath as he slipped his arms around me, apparently immediately under the impression he needed to hug me, which was definitely not the wrong thing to do. The warmth nearly made my legs weak, and I pushed him back lightly, looking at Jeffrey.

Jeffrey was watching me, not speaking, I wasn't even sure if he could speak or if I'd shocked him out of the attack.

My head felt dizzy. I saw Bazile and his father shift back behind us and I swallowed.

"Sit down everyone." I told them quietly, indicating toward Jeffrey to sit down as well, walking forwards, glancing back at Lowell as he matched my step too closely. "Sit down..." I exhaled.

I looked at Lowell and faced forwards. "You're... You're clearly a bad influence..."

It was meant as a joke, but my words wavered as I aired my shirt and marched toward the kitchen.

Neither of them actually sat down, as I could see from the corner of my eye as we entered the kitchen, but Bazile's sharp gaze stayed pinned on Jeffrey.