Chapter Eight: Family

I wasted no time to get off Dragara and we returned home. Nothing about it changed. The land was still green and the castle was still in tact, but yet it looked different. And I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I didn't try to figure out the mystery. My focus was my family and seeing their faces, no matter how glum they may look.

I almost could not contain my relief... my happiness, as I ran into the castle. Some people, guards and lords, tried to greet me, but I paid them no attention. I'm not the queen right now. Yes, I'm Visenya Targaryen, but I've come as Rhaenyra's, their queens, daughter.

I ran as fast as my legs could take me, all the way to the one place I knew they would be during all this mess. The war room. I used to call it the golden map room. There's a table, set in the center of the room, that's made of a map. The map of the 7 kingdoms. And it turns gold when they light it up with fire. It's beautiful.

Many people, mostly lords, stared at me, wide eye, most likely wondering why I was there. But I ignored them and rush towards mother, who already had her arms open to embrace me.

"Oh my girl!" She exclaimed, hugging me tightly, as if this was the first time in years we've been in each other's presence.

We pulled away and she cupped my face, wondering why I was here. "I had to see you."
Tears fell out of my eyes and on her hands. But neither of us cared. We only cared that we're here, together.

"Visenya?" I heard my little brothers voice behind me.

I turned around and saw him smile his sweet smile, and I took him quickly and hugged him. "Hey little brother. I've missed you!"

"I've missed you too. We were scared. We thought they did something to you." He said softly.

I pulled away from him and smiled. "They can't take me down that easy." I kissed his head. "Oh my sweet little brother. How I've missed you!" I hugged him even more tightly.

He gasped for air. "Can't... breathe."

"Oh! Sorry." I chuckled and let him go. We all laughed as we saw him fake cough for air. The one thing I could always count on from Lucerys... he would always make me smile. And he's always made me proud.

He felt so bad when he took Aemond's eye, but I would tell him over and over again, "You were defending your brother. I am most proud of you! Never apologize for defending your family."

"Leave us." I heard mother spoke, and all the lords and guards leave, even Lucerys.

"I know," Every time I felt like I was about to be scolded or was being scolded, I would always clasp my hands tightly and fiddle my fingers anxiously. "That my presence might... complicate things, but as soon as your letter arrived, I didn't want to waste time in seeing you. I'm sorry for you loss."

"Thank you." She gulped, swallowing down her tears.

"I should have left with you. I'm sorry. I really tired to fix things." My knees gave out and I dropped to the floor, weeping, begging for forgiveness.

"Visenya," I opened my eyes to see my mother face to face, kneeling, with me. "This isn't your fault. I do not blame you. I'm sure they would have found a way to take my Thorne from me either way."

"Maybe. But it was still yours." I was able to slow my tears. "You should have been crowned, as grandsire wished. What they have done... is treason."

"But what can be done?" She ask. "Start a war and rule over ashes? They don't want a woman ruling without a king. I heard how people cheered when they crowned Aemond." She look defeated.

"As a woman myself, I never thought my voice would be heard. Not as a princess, lady or even queen. But someone told me something, that made me keep fighting. 'It only takes one flame... to start a fire.'" I took her hands and tightly grasped them in a pleading manner. "Please don't give up. I will be right here, always supporting you."