Chapter 7: The Gift

After her tears calmed, Maigred tucked the leaf away in her pocket and hurried home.

She entered through the back, kitchen door, expecting the front door to have already been bolted and barred for the night. In the kitchen she found Eoghan and Aoibh at the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room, peering anxiously into the dining area.

Aoibh turned to look over at Maigred, apprehension clear on her face. She looked even more worried when her eyes fell on Maigred. "Are you all right?" she asked at the same time Maigred said, "What is it?"

Maigred made a dismissive gesture with her hand. "I'm fine. What's happening here?" She went to Eoghan's side and looked into the dining room. Her breath caught in her lungs. Finten was sitting at one of the tables, his back to her. In fact, everything looked exactly the way it had in her vision. Maigred looked down half expecting to see she already had the gifts in her arms.

Aoibh came up on the other side of Maigred. "He came in just after you left. He's been drinking steadily since. He hasn't said anything to anyone, but...well, I'm afraid what might happen if we ask him to leave."

"Do you want me to go get...someone?" Eoghan asked in an uncertain tone.

Maigred's hand found its way into her pocket, her fingers wrapped around the stone and squeezed it. I thought I would have more time to prepare.

Despite realizing she hadn't lost her magic, and finding the conviction to do whatever it took to defeat the wyrm, she found all her anger and hatred towards Finten rising up in her chest again. She didn't want to have anything to do with him.

"Maigred? Are you alright?" Eoghan asked.

Maigred swallowed. She forced herself to smile, then turned to face him. "I'm fine. Why don't you two head up to bed? I'll take care of this."

Eoghan frowned uncertainly. "Are you sure? I can go get...I'm sure there's someone who would help. Maybe some of the lord's men?"

Maigred's smile turned genuine. She laid a hand on the young man's shoulder. "I'm sure. Everything will be fine." She turned to Aoibh and laid a hand on her shoulder as well. "Really. I can handle this. You two head off to bed."

They glanced uncertainly at each other, then looked back at Maigred. "If you're sure?" Eoghan said.

Maigred laughed. She crossed her arms in mock anger. "What, you've decided to question my competency now? How many drunks have I tossed out over the years, and how many have I sent you off to deal with? Get to bed, you ingrates!"

They both smiled, their bodies relaxed.

"Goodnight Maigred." Aoibh took off her apron and hung it on the hook next to the door.

Eoghan searched Maigred's face one last time. "If you need anything, just call."

Maigred nodded. Eoghan and Aoibh slipped quietly upstairs and Maigred was left alone.

She turned and looked at Finten again, noting his slumped posture and the shabbiness of his clothes. Caevah had never let him wear anything shabby or worn. That, at least was something that Maigred could do something about.

She turned to the large pantry where she kept a few stacks of clothing and bundles of food ready to go. She found a set of clothes that would fit Finten, then grabbed one of the bundles of food that were still left from that morning. She looked down at the little pile in her arms and swallowed. Am I really going to do this?

She shut her eyes and remembered again what had happened in the square that morning. It's up to me to do something. She straightened her shoulders and walked out to the dining room. She rounded the table where Finten was sitting, her shoulders stiff and her jaw clenched. He had a cup and a large, fancy bottle of liquor that she didn't recognize, it was two thirds empty. His golden eyes flicked up to meet hers. There was red in his eyes, but Maigred couldn't tell how drunk he might be.