Acorn X Green Poncho pt 1

Running. All you were doing was running. You're an acorn knight and not a very good one at that. You're not gifted, not strong, nor brave. You don't have many skills at all. Not to mention King Xavier isn't particularly fond of you---if he even bothers remembering your name. Right now, though, you feel like that's the least he could do, as the Green Poncho was chasing you on his account. After this, you thought, you'd ditch your uniform and become a Rando. Sure, you'd be an outcast, but it's much better than THIS.

Pure terror is all you feel as you bolt to the overpass. In hindsight, you should've run away from it. No thoughts came of how you could escape, only thoughts cursing the King. Thoughts like that would surely get you in trouble, but right now you don't care. A shift in the ground and a rough slip knock you out of your thoughts. You tumble down a hill, landing harshly into the creek below. Not only did the fall knock the wind out of you, but you also swallowed an alarming amount of water. You cough and gag at the taste. You can only think about how lucky you were that this part of the creek is shallow today. Still, you're soaked to the bone. The Green Poncho was nowhere in sight, like they were only a figment of your imagination. The scented marker on your cheek says otherwise.

You move to get up, only to be met with resistance. Your ankle is wrapped in a root hidden under the water. So, you tug, and when that does nothing, you tug harder, and harder and harder until you regret it. Your ankle turns horridly and a sharp pop sound is made. You fall back down, muffling a screaming sob. You lay as the water rushes over your back and head, radiating pain coming from your ankle. Oh, it hurt. It hurt bad. Your head spins from the pain and your ankle burns. You steel yourself, and steadily but surely you arose, taking in the situation. It's hard to see the damage due to the shoe and the rushing water, but based on the level of pain, you assume it was at least a really bad sprain.

This root was a good two inches in diameter. It's so thick, you wonder how you even managed to get your foot under it in the first place. No matter how many times you tried, you couldn't get a good enough grip on the root to pull it up. At this point, the constant movement hurt. Even if you manage to get a good enough grip, you aren't strong enough to lift it.

"Ankles are not supposed to bend like that."

You shriek at the newfound voice, flinging yourself as far away as you could from the Green Poncho. How did he sneak up on you? He approached you in the water, got behind you, and you only noticed when he spoke up.

Half of his face was covered, but the corner of his mouth tugged downwards. He found the shriek quite unpleasant. He takes a step closer and your whole body tenses.

"Back... back up!" You stutter out, kicking away with your free foot. He does not back up but instead, he places himself in front of your foot. You watch wearily, eyeing every move he makes.

"Stop trippin', I'm helping you." He states matter-of-factly, gripping the root with both hands. He pulls up, giving you enough space to pull out your foot without any unnecessary movement. Joy rushes over you. You're free! But there's no time for excitement. You jump on your feet, dreading as you do once pain engulfs your ankle. You yelp at the sudden loss of balance and pain. You catch yourself but not before tears prickled your eyes, threatening to overflow.

The Green Poncho sighs very loudly and you snap your head back to him. The two of you sat there staring at each other. His face scrunches up and you return it with a glare. You turn your back on him, set on returning to the fort. Before you could take one step however you were unceremoniously swept into green arms princess style. You cry out in protest as he carries you to the shore. You shove your hands in his face, kicking and squirming in an attempt to escape.

"Put me down!" you yell.

"Would you stop-" At this point, he stumbles, still hanging onto you while you flail. You push his face even harder, causing him to drop you roughly on the grass. "What is your problem?" He scream-whispers, one wide eye popping out from behind his locks. You glare up at him, curling into a ball as much as you can, leaving your injured ankle out.