The emperor pushes his wives away and scoots to the end of the settee. He folds his hands over his plump belly and his eyes narrow. "And what about the wish of your dead mother?"

"I'm sure her spirit is the loudest of those who object to my choice. I have no qualms telling her to fuck off as well."

"You will risk everything for a woman whose fate is a consequence of her actions? Raelle Mansi killed your mother and spilled her blood on holy ground. The Statera did not unjustly dethrone and deprive her of its graces."

The room erupts in whispers. What kind of king would sacrifice so many for someone who killed his own mother? His single-mindedness will be Pliris' fall. It's a shame his mother died; his land would be better off under her rule. I ignore their exchanges and look to Borin. He remains stone-faced, standing with my guards on the outer edge of the room. His dark gaze locks with mine and he gives a slight nod.

I return my attention to the emperor with a new resolve. I entered this room and fell to my knees, pleading for the Esspress emperor's help. My sign of respect has done nothing more than show this man that I am weak. Although I've promised to compensate him for any losses, I've not proven that I can stand my ground against the Allaji. Shit, I've not even stood my ground in this throne room. Why should he lend me his ships if there is no chance I can return from this battle?

I rise and cross my arms, done submitting to my equal. "The Statera may find my parah's actions unforgivable; I regard them as invaluable. If it were not for Raelle, my mother would have used her gift to make me forget who I am. She would have stripped me of every memory and fashioned me into a being who was not of his own making. Raelle saved my life, and I will do everything within my power to save hers."

The emperor's jowls giggle as he scrutinizes me from head to toe. "You praise your woman for what she has done, for going against our creator's laws?"

The women at his feet straighten. The curiosity written on their faces tugs at my heart. None of them understands what it is like to be wholly loved by one person. They've never had a man devote his body only to them or known what it is like to fall asleep every night in his arms. These women have never been desired or loved the way I love Raelle. They may have chosen this life, but I can't help wondering if they ever wished that they had a love like ours. A love where they were the center of someone's devotion.

I slide my hands in my pockets and pace the front of the dais. "Answer me this: which of your wives is your favorite?"

"I do not favor one over the others. They are each precious to me."

"What if I told you that one of your wives sacrificed everything for you? She defied the Statera and gave up her status in this court so that you might rule another day. Not only did she give up everything she loves and holds dear, but she would do it again without question. She has no regrets because you are the thing she holds above all others. Would you say you have a favorite then?"

The emperor is quiet for several beats, his lips twitching and brows furrowed. "I'd have to say that if any of my wives went to that extent for me, they would hold my favor."

"Despite being disgraced in the eyes of the Statera?"

"Yes."

I stop pacing and glare at him. "You have just scratched the surface of what I feel for Raelle. Our love and devotion aren't the one-sided example I just gave you. We give and take no matter the cost, because nothing is more important than the other. So, to answer your question, I love Raelle unconditionally. The Statera may forsake her, but I never will."

The women around the emperor turn to him with lovesick expressions—batting eyelashes and hands clasped to their chests. His gaze rakes over each of them before his shoulders slump. If he doesn't at least pretend to consider my offer, his bed could be a cold and lonely place for the weeks to come.

"Let me discuss the matter with my advisors, and you will know before the end of the day if you have my help."

A burst of excitement rips through me. Inside my pocket, I squeeze a fist around the Eporri, digging my nails into my skin. I force my expression into indifference and give a curt nod. "I appreciate you consideration, Your Imperial Highness."

*****

After a brief meeting with the emperor's counsel, I'm granted two battleships in exchange for three seasons of citrus which is only found in northeast Pliris and a large sum of coin as the leasing fee. The ships will only carry half of the forces waiting on the outskirts of Esspress. I'm uncomfortable with leaving soldiers behind. The decrease in numbers sack the odds of failing against us and increase the chances of paying reparations for any damages to the ships. The trade is pricy, but worth it.

I'm sure the emperor would have denied my request if it were not for the whispered discussions Borin and I had with his senior advisors. They were terrified when we told them their people could be next. It is only a matter of time before the shifters' lack of self-control leads to the death of the Cyffreds they took. What kingdom would they set their sights on next if Pliris was annihilated? The spirit speakers don't hold a chance against the shifters' brute force. They could use someone with firsthand knowledge of what Zek is planning next. I could supply them with just that. Raelle is our most valuable source of intel. Her rescue would benefit us all.

When the answer was given, Borin added a quirk of his lips to the normal nod he gave me. That smallest of gestures is how I knew he was proud of me. For the first time since becoming king, I felt like I did something right.

I stand on the dock watching Greer direct our soldiers onto the two ships. The vessels are intimidating, with their billowing white sails and cannons running along the sides. People hustle around the decks, loading crates of ammunition and bundles of food for the five-day trip to the island off the coast of Allaji. To my surprise, not one person looks out of sorts about what lies ahead. They don't seem to mind the impending danger the shifters present, or the shark-infested waters that will rock the ship, and perhaps capsize it, leaving us all to drown in the dark sea. No, I'm the only one petrified by the journey ahead.

"I get a sick satisfaction at seeing you afraid of something so trivial."

I cast Rowan a side glance and shake my head. "Remember, all I have to do is say the word and I can have you tossed overboard."

He chuckles and leans against the railing, crossing his arms and ankles. His dark hair catches in the breeze and his blue eyes sparkle with mischief. I envy him. Rowan is barely a man, and despite his lack of maturity, he is sure of the future he wants. On the day of his eighteenth birthday, he took his oath to serve Pliris as one of its soldiers. Other than wanting to accompany me on this mission, he has never asked for any special treatment. It would be easy to use his sister's status or his father's position as ex-general to bypass the basics of his training, but he has done each task without complaint. His dedication has drawn my interest in his progress. Greer gives me updates and implements my suggestions. He has the potential to be just as great as his father one day with the right guidance.

"I don't think my sister would be too happy to learn her boyfriend dumped her only brother in the sea." Rowan stares up at the pre-dawn sky. His bravado vanishes, replaced with a thoughtfulness beyond his years. "Did you mean it? Would you sacrifice for Raelle the way she did for you?"

"Yes." I'm normally comfortable with clipped one-word answers. They leave no room for debate and are void of messy emotions. I say what I mean, and the recipient accepts it. But I'm compelled to dive deeper with Rowan to end his doubt. "Why are you constantly challenging my feelings for your sister? She's the one I wronged, yet I'm fighting an unending war with you. I shouldn't care what you think of me, but fuck. Raelle adores you and I can't stomach the thought of her being unhappy when you and I are in the same room. What do I need to do to prove that I will never hurt her like that again?"

"Bring her home," he says with little thought. "Do whatever it takes and bring her home."

"I will."

"I'm counting on it."

I turn to the water. The rolling waves, endless depths, the creatures lurking beneath the surface—the ocean is wild... unpredictable. It has every advantage over me, and I must depend on a manmade vassal to protect me from its dangers. I thought it was my biggest fear, but the sea is nothing compared to what lies ahead. It's not the shifters or the unknown land that scares me. I will persevere over those things. Fighting is what I do best. My biggest fear is that Rowan's newly given trust is misplaced, and I will fail to bring Raelle home.