18. Heads or Tails?

Start from the beginning

Shifting up, she felt Elif reach over to switch the television off and their focus turned to her.

"We know you don't want to talk about it more than you already have, but if you and him are done, why are you breaking your heart more by letting stay close?"

Why did they have to make sense? She mused, wanting the ground to swallow her whole.

Her self-deprecating answer sounded. "Because I'm used to him and his company, it doesn't hurt as much anymore. Seriously, I'm fine, guys."

"You're not fine, Mon." Noor cut her off, narrowing her light eyes on her cousin. "I mean this explains why you haven't been mentioning him much for the last few years, why would you accept this mistrust for so long? You're better than that."

Tough love. That's how Noor worked whereas the softer one was Elif who mended that comment in seconds.

"What she means is that you are such strong willed woman who doesn't deserve Heath's love. I can see you both care for each other, and you know we both have loved Heath like a brother over the many years you've been together, but this isn't something we can sit back and watch happen to you." She paused, licking her lips. "Do you want to waste another ten more years with him, constantly worrying if he's out with another woman?"

Mona frowned. "I'm not getting back with him. You're both looking into this too much."

"Mona."

"No. I don't want to sit here and talk about him, I don't want him to ruin our time together. He's ruined enough for me."

"So why aren't you cutting him completely?"

She didn't answer that, snatching the remote and turning the television back on.

She knew there was truth to their concern, they were basically her sisters and so it was normal for them to be trying to make her see what they were seeing.

What they didn't understand was that she didn't want the advice.

She wasn't trying to get back with Heath, nor was she hoping too.

By having him as a companion to talk to, her hurt and resentment she had built over the years was slowly vanishing.

She didn't want to say it, she was being selfish.

Very selfish. She wanted him to fix her broken heart before she could move on. Time is what she needed.

Even if it meant hurting him the same way he had hurt her in the process. She knew he loved her, and so did she. But she'd stop loving him when she was ready too, that she was sure of.

His childhood room was the same way he had left it when he first moved out.

Staring up at the blank ceiling, he took in the stupid Spider-Man lampshade and wondered if his parents really kept this shit for sentimental reasons or whether they wanted to maintain their perfect doting family picture.

Most likely the latter.

Over to the corner, he could see the countless sports achievements covering most of the shelves. All sorts of medals and trophies, relating to none other than scholastic wrestling.