0.5

02:00

02:00

It was now two o'clock in the morning, and Sydney laid awake in her sisters bed. She couldn't sleep after what had happened not hours before, and after seeing her sister she couldn't sleep in her own bed, so she tried to go to sleep in Betty's, but nothing worked.

Her mind was racing, she had seen Betty. She looked alive, like she was really there. But she wasn't. She couldn't have been, that clown couldn't have been real, none of it could have been.

That leper looked exactly like her father before he left, she had no idea what he looked like now, but then the leper disappeared, as if it were never there.

Sydney had been tossing and turning under the covers for hours now, trying to get even an hour of sleep, but nothing worked.

Her mother had fallen asleep on the sofa downstairs, and Sydney had covered her over with a blanket before going to her own room to go to bed. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stop thinking about that clown.

She let out a heavy sigh, throwing the covers back and standing up. She was in her pyjamas, her rings still on, with a pair of cotton socks which sunk into the soft carpet of her sisters floor.

She left the room, quietly making her way down the stairs, past the kitchen, through the living room, and down the hall to her bedroom, where she sat down on the edge of her bed.

She lifted up her bag, that was still full of her painting supplies, and began taking everything out. That's when she saw it.

A small bracelet at the bottom of her bag.

She placed the bag back down against the side of her bed and took the bracelet out.

It had three layers, and was beaded with small wooden-like beads, with three light pink crystals on each layer, and rose gold beads next to the crystals.

A smile found her lips, Sydney about to slip it on when a loud thud came from the basement. She let out a groan, "Honey, again?"

Honey was the neighbours cat, and she would sometimes sneak into the basement, eventually knocking something over and waking Sydney up.

She placed the bracelet on her bed, standing up and leaving her bedroom, making her way down to the basement without waking her mother.

Sydney used to hate the basement when she was younger, because it terrified her. It was dark, and it always felt like someone was watching her. She wasn't scared of it now, because when she was five she and Betty turned it into their area.

It had multicoloured lights, and a den area made of sheets, painting supplies, a small library area for when Betty would read to her at night, when she was little, they had eventually grown out of it, but it had helped a lot after their father left.