Prologue

~ Prologue ~

I gazed around my bedroom from where I sat in the window seat, watching as the afternoon sun danced off of the dark purple gem in the centre of my went on my first finger, casting a reflection of a rainbow across the wall before me. I tossed my long, golden brown and red hair over my shoulder as I turned my gaze out at the setting sun before the window. A soft barking came from the park on the other side of the fence and I looked up and over it, smiling slightly when I saw a young boy playing with his dog whilst his parents walked along behind him.

I sighed heavily as I tore my gaze away from the setting sun and gazed back into my dark room. Despite the fact that the setting sun was boring in through my windows, it only lit up a very small portion of the room, mainly where my head would normally be placed on my pillows. I sighed as I got down from where I was sitting and wandered over to my desk and turned on my laptop before sitting in my desk chair and staring at the screen as it lit up, casting an artificial around me and into the room. I logged onto my laptop, my delicate fingers flying over the keys of my laptop as I typed in my password and hit enter. I tapped my fingers on the keys impatiently as I waited for it to load up, not having a lot of patience left after the conversation I had had with my mother a few shorts hours ago. When the screen finally did load, I let out a huff in frustration as I opened up a word document and began typing up my latest assignment for English.

By the time my mother came up to tell me that dinner was ready, I had completely finished typing up the assignment and editing it. I hit the print button the exact moment that my mother knocked on my bedroom door cautiously sticking her head through the gap and looking at me with her big brown eyes.

That was one thing that had me confused the most. Everyone in my family had either brown or blue eyes, and on the odd occasion we had someone with a mixture of green, blue and brown, or hazel as some would call it. But not me. I definitely was the odd one out in the entire family. I didn’t have brown, green, blue, grey, or even hazel eyes. No. My eyes had to go in the complete opposite direction of what normal people would perceive to be a normal eye colour. My eyes were purple, and a brilliant, almost electric purple at that.

“Dinner’s ready, Asha,” my mother said in a cautiously quiet voice as I waited for the printer finish printing out my assignment.

I nodded my head at her, to make her see that I understood as I grabbed my work and placed it on the desk top as I searched through the draw to the left of me for a display folder to put it in before I handed it in tomorrow morning in class. I heard her sigh heavily before my door closed again and I turned around to look at it. I really had no clue why she had sighed, but, as I thought on it more I realised that she assumed that I was still pissed at her about our disagreement earlier. I wasn’t, I just had no patience after that, that’s all.

I sighed myself as I turned around and found a suitable display folder underneath a rather large pile of papers that I had sitting in the draw. I grabbed it out and began putting the pieces of paper in each of the pockets, smiling slightly when I completely filled the display folder. I placed it beside my laptop as I shut it down and closed the lid before I got up, stretched and wandered out of my room and down the stairs for dinner.

I entered the dining room and found my father already sitting in his seat, a cup of coffee in one hand, newspaper on the table in front of him and his fork in the other. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, giving him a hug. He turned his head to the left and kissed me on the cheek.

“Hey Dad,” I said as I kissed his cheek as well before standing up straight and walking over to my own seat.

“Hey sweetie. How was your day?” he asked and I cast a glance at Mum as she entered the room, carrying our three plates.

“It was fine. Boring, but fine,” I said as I accepted my plate from Mum and began eating.

Dad smiled at me before digging in eagerly to his own meal as Mum sat down. She looked up at me and threw me a grateful look for not mentioning our little disagreement from earlier and I sent her a smile. I began to pick at my food, suddenly not feeling very hungry as I watched Mum and Dad tuck in to their meals hungrily. I almost gagged when Dad ate one of the pieces of meat that was still way too hot and spat it back out again to allow it to cool down. I ate as much as I could, so that Mum didn’t tell me off later for not eating anything on my plate and excused myself as quickly as I could. Being used to my not eating as much as I used to, my parents allowed me to leave the room and put my half-finished meal into a microwave container and into the fridge for either later or for lunch tomorrow.

I hurried up to my room and closed the door despite the claustrophobic feeling I was having and walked over to my window, the one thing I could open and the one thing that always seemed to get rid of the claustrophobic in me. I opened the window and sucked in a deep breath as the cool evening breeze blew into my room and swirled my hair around my face, the long curled locks toying and lightly brushing across the skin on my cheek each time a new strength came in the breeze and blew through my room.

I sighed again as I crawled up onto the window seat and curled my legs underneath me and leant my head against the window frame beside me. My phone went off in my pocket and I reached inside to retrieve it. I laughed when I saw Darcy’s number flashing on my screen, telling me that she’d just sent me a message.

You had better not forget about tomorrow!

I laughed at her message, it meaning to be more of a warning than an actual reminder and I snapped my phone shut, knowing that the only reply she was going to need was the fact that I was going to be up tomorrow morning when she arrived at me house.