Chapter 4: Best friends

Start from the beginning

"Really?" Sprig asked with a surprised look on his face. He thought they had been friends but guess not.

"Come on. It'll be fun! Anne, what did you do with your friends?"

"Everything." Anne said before listing off all the things that she could think of. "Marathon dumb TV shows, drink boba till we vomited, hung out at the beach."

"Oh, we've got a lake." Sprig said after snapping his fingers. "Would going there with me make you feel less homesick?"

"That sounds awesome!"

"Cool."

"Alright, let's do it!" Anne said.

Lincoln and Anne brushed their teeth and went to separate rooms to change into their swimming clothes.

Applied sunscreen, putting on their flip flops, and then grabbing their towels, they came back to the living room.

Anne wore her sleeveless black swim shirt, with cyan linings across the sides, purple-colored shorts, and cyan sandals, which contain yellow straps.

Lincoln had no shirt, just a pair of orange shorts with a pair of red sandals with white straps. Anne shrugged and threw the towel over her shoulder.

Sprig was already waiting for them, placed his goggles over his eyes. "You guys ready to go?"

"Yeah-ah!" Anne said, ready for a day of fun after months in the forest.

"Let's do this!" Lincoln exclaimed with a big smile.

"Hey, hey, hey!" The three of them chanted as they were walking to the front door, only to be stopped by Hop Pop who jumped in front of him.

"And where do you two think you're going?" He asked.

"We're going to the lake." Sprig said, pulling out his short and then letting them go, letting them smack back into his waist. "Ow."

"Why? You wanna come?" Lincoln asked. "More the marrier."

"Absolutely not!" Hop Pop suddenly yelled at the three, before talking to the humans living with them. "Look. Lincoln, Anne. You're a new, unsettling, strange, bizarre, gangly, horrifying-"

"Thanks. We got it." Anne held up her hand.

"Point is, the frogs in this town can be pretty small-minded." The elder frog said walking to the window and pulled the shades down to look outside. He sees some frogs walk and talking to each other.

One of the frogs said hello to Hopediah. "And paranoid."

"Are you talking about everyone else or yourself?" Lincoln raised an eyebrow.

"We just need to give 'em time to get used to ya," Hop Pop said pulling out a key. "I think it's best you stay put."

He then locked the door as Anne protests. "But-"

"No buts!" Hop Pop said, slipping the key into the pocket of his shirt then walks away from the two humans and his grandson.

"Now I'm gonna go into my study to get a little reading done."

"Uh, Hop Pop." Sprig complained.

"Don't do anything stupid!" Hop Pop told them, before slamming the doors to his study shut.

"Ugh!" Anne groaned. "Adults are all the same. Curfews. Rules..." she paused for a moment to think of a three thing. "Old."

"Yeah, looks like we're stuck here," Sprig said before getting an idea in his head. "Ooh! I know what'll be fun. Let's try some of Hop Pop's pain peppers."