The Doctor Dances

Magsimula sa umpisa

"The night your space junk landed, someone was hurt." the Doctor explained, "This is where they were taken."

"What happened?" Rose asked.

"Let's find out." the Artist replied, and turned to Jack. "Can you get this door open, Flirt Boy?"

"Are you gorgeous as heck?" Jack grinned, and stepped forwards towards the door.

"What's wrong with your sonic screwdrivers?" Rose asked the Time Lords.

"Nothing." the Doctor grunted, glaring at Jack again, not at all happy with his flirting with the Artist.

Jack pulled out a futuristic-looking gun and fired a square-shaped beam of blue energy at the door, cutting a perfectly square-shaped hole in the lock.

"Sonic blaster, 51st century." the Doctor noted as Jack pulled the door open, "Weapon factories of Villengard."

"You've been to the factories?" Jack asked.

"Once." the Doctor replied, taking the blaster and examining it.

"Well, they're gone now. Destroyed. The main reactor went critical, vaporised the lot."

"Like I said, once." the Doctor said casually, handing Jack the blaster back, "There's a banana grove there now. I like bananas. Bananas are good." He smiled pleasantly at Jack and entered the room, the Artist following him.

"Nice blast pattern." Rose commented, looking at the perfectly square-shaped hole.

"Digital." Jack shrugged.

"Squareness gun?"

"Yeah."

"I like it." Rose remarked, and went into the room. Jack laughed then followed her inside.

The Doctor switched the light on to reveal that room 802 appeared to have been vandalised. The window was broken and furniture was overturned. "What d'yer think?" the Doctor asked no one in particular.

"Something got outta here." Jack observed.

"Yeah. And?"

"Something powerful. Angry."

"Powerful and angry." the Doctor murmured in agreement.

The Artist, Jack and Rose entered a room off to the side. The floor and walls were covered with child's drawings. There were a few toys on the floor and a little bed in the corner. "A child?" Jack stared, "I suppose this explains 'Mummy'."

"How could a child do this?" Rose asked the Artist.

The Time Lady didn't answer, she just looked around the room with a sad expression.

The Doctor found a tape recorder and switched it on. "Do you know where you are?" Dr Constantine's voice asked.

"Are you my mummy?" the child's voice asked.

"Are you aware of what's around you? Can you... see?"

"Are you my mummy?"

"What do you want? Do you know..."

"I want my mummy! Are you my mummy? I want my mummy! Are you my mummy?"

The Artist looked around the room. All of the drawings depicted the child's mother. Her hearts went out for the poor boy.

"I've heard this voice before." Rose frowned.

"Us too." the Doctor replied softly.

"Mummy?"

"Always 'are you my mummy?' Like he doesn't know." the Artist sighed.

"Mummy?"

"Why doesn't he know?" Rose asked.