Chapter 14

Red Desert - 5sos
Gasoline - Halsey

In celebration of us going home Kai took down the roof of Damon's car, letting the Arizona breeze engulf us as we drove. I think that this was the happiest I'd felt in the prison world. For once I wasn't mad I was with Kai or that we were in a world that was completely empty. There was once a time I would have craved this. I couldn't forget that.

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that we weren't going home this time. I felt different about it. Kai and I could actually get along and not want to kill each other. Moreover, Joshua Parker had no idea that the spell over my house existed. Surely he didn't know that much about me that he knew it was there.
It would be creepy if he did.

The flat terrain meant that we could see the sunset perfectly, it surrounded us entirely and I didn't think I'd see anything this gorgeous again.
I hadn't seen views like this since 1993 on my way to Portland. Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco were all places I'd stopped at on my way there. I made a 16 hour trip more like a week and a half.

I glanced to my left, realising I was too caught up in my own head to see that Kai was talking to me.
"You okay there?" He asked, not actually caring if I was, more so I would listen to what he was saying. "God I've been away so long. I can wait to get back." Kai continued as he increased the speed of the car. "I don't know, I feel like i've been wasting away in here. 2011 is about to meet Kai Parker." I smiled at his excitement for I could barely contain mine either.

There was one thing, one person, that had crossed my mind at that moment though.
Stefan.
I didn't know what I was meant to say.
I didn't even feel guilty that I hadn't thought about him most of the time in the Prison World. There was the odd thought here and there but that was it.
And then there was Kai.
He had consumed most of my mind while I was here. Purely due to the fact I was stuck with him and we also shared history.

I pushed the thought to the back of my mind, knowing I would be dealing with it when I get home. For now I would enjoy the freedom I felt here.

I took a quick glance at Kai, remembering how I had admired him while he was driving, way before we'd gotten to a point in our relationship where we could consider ourselves friends. I at least considered Kai my friend. This trip had changed things.
I stared at him again, noticing how his eyes glowed in the last half of sunlight that peaked over the horizon. I would say it a million times over, Kai Parker was gorgeous. Shame it was always the killers that were so good looking, Stefan included.

"What have I told you about doing that?" Kai's voice pulled me out of my trance.

"Huh?" I asked, very confused.

"I've told you to not look at me like that when i'm driving." Kai sighed. He shifted gears and began slowing down. One night in particular suddenly stood out in my head —when we were on our way to Portland. Over the past weeks I'd forgotten and not care to think about the early days here.
However I put that on the distraction of focusing on getting my magic back and finding a way out.

I knew what Kai was talking about but I couldn't help it. I turned to my right and stared out to the Arizona desert. In the real world it was empty but not as empty as this. I wouldn't ever experience anything like this again, though the Prison world was a Prison I could go back to a time that I'd missed out on. I think that's what made me warm to Kai. If I'd stayed in this empty plain as long as he did I would definitely resent it- Not being alone was everything.