24.Chapter

24.Chapter

Half an hour later we stopped in front of an apartment complex. There were high fences around it. I looked up with wide eyes because the building was very large and I hadn't been able to see any close. Halmonie lived more in a rural area and near the sea.

"That's really huge," I said enthusiastically, trying to figure out how many people might live inside. My aunt put a hand on my shoulder and laughed at my childish joy. "Judging by the way you look, you have no idea how many people live in it," she began to speak after she stopped laughing again. I didn't expect anything else from her. Every question I asked she could read from my face. "Don't many people live there?" I asked her, eyebrows raised, pointing at the building in front of me. Large windows could be seen and broad balconies proudly towered in every direction.

"Oh no, no. They are luxury apartments. Many rich people live there, so you cannot enter without permission. The building is very well monitored, both by cameras and by well-trained security guards. Only people who can afford it live there, BTs is one of them. I imagine that actors and models have also found their home in it," she explained to me when I wanted to find out more about it. I love learning new things and trying new things. The corners of my mouth lifted a tiny bit at the thought.

"Now let's go inside. The boys are probably already waiting for us. They won't leave until they say goodbye to me," she finally laughed. She shook her head at the memory and gently grabbed my hand and pulled me behind her. Her grip was firm, yet I wasn't uncomfortable. It didn't hurt, so I didn't lose a single word.

"Annyonghaseyo. It smells so good in here. What good things have you got with you today?" we were greeted by a security guard. He smiled kindly at my aunt and then tried to look in my aunt's bag. Surely he asked this question because he could smell the delicious smell of the food. Although I ate not long ago, I am already looking forward to the meal to come.

"You know my husband. We've had a tradition for so long that I bring him food to work once a week. I did a lot more today because I know the boys are inside right now. My special dish," she shared some information. I could tell from her face that she didn't want to say much more. My aunt lovingly put an arm around my shoulders and hugged me lightly. "This is my niece, Lee (Y/N). She lives with me for a while," my aunt introduced me to the security guard. "Hello," I finally got the word out and bowed politely in greeting.

"I'd like to talk to you longer, but my husband and the boys are already expecting us," she continued, pushing me firmly towards the door. That ended the conversation for her. Before we walked past the security guard, she said to him "Have a nice day."

In the building we made our way straight to the elevator. Once again a security guard was on patrol and nodded in greeting. A kind of reception had been set up next to the elevator and the stairwell, which was currently not manned. Luckily the security guard didn't engage us in conversation and let us go our own way. We weren't stopped either.

My aunt rummaged through her purse in the elevator because she seemed to be looking for something. I watched her confused, but didn't say a word. The elevator hasn't moved an inch yet, so I leaned against the wall, crossing my arms. I enjoyed the coolness on my skin and watched my aunt searching, somewhat bored. I would have liked to offer her my help, but the bag wasn't exactly a large area to search. "Unfortunately, you can only move the elevator with a key," she said, still rummaging in her bag. I put a hand under my chin thoughtfully. "And what about the stairs?" I asked a counter question. My aunt looked at me in disbelief. "You don't seriously want to walk up twelve floors, do you?" she said to me. With a sigh of relief, she pulled out her key and held it up in victory. "There it is!" she exclaimed enthusiastically and immediately put the key in and turned it once on its axis so that the elevator finally started to move.

Although it was a few seconds, or at most a few minutes, that we started up, I felt queasy in my stomach. I wasn't used to such a ride. It was much worse when the bus kept moving back and forth. Here, however, I am afraid of falling and it was too narrow for me. If I got stuck here it would be hell on earth for me as I've never been locked in a confined space before.

"I don't feel comfortable here at all," I announced, rubbing the back of my hand across my damp forehead. Sweat ran down my temples and dots appeared in front of my eyes. Concerned, my aunt turned her head and looked me up and down. "You probably don't like the elevator ride," she stated, shaking her head. She took my hand in hers and squeezed it gently. I, on the other hand, tried to calm my pounding heart. "We'll be there any minute," she informed me.

As if on command, the elevator stopped and opened with a 'blink' sound. Luckily for me we finally have the descent into hell behind us. I stumbled out of the elevator as fast as I could and sat on the floor because I could no longer hold myself up. I fell to the ground powerlessly. I didn't realize before that my legs were like jelly. The panic was still deep in my bones.

Silence first greeted us in the apartment, until the tap of tiny feet sounded, growing louder with every step. Before I knew it I was on my back on the floor and a warm tongue was licking my face. I felt a weight on my chest. I narrowed my eyes tightly, not knowing what kind of animal had attacked me. Even if I did, I didn't want to keep my eyes open when the animal covered my face with its spit. I lay helplessly on the floor and endured the procedure without comment. On the other hand, my aunt had a lot of fun with me. With a loud laugh she enjoyed my suffering.

"What's that?" I asked once I pushed the animal away and held it in the air with both hands. The animal looked up sweetly. The black beady eyes shined with joy and the long tongue hung from the side. The fur felt very soft and silky under my fingers.

"That, my dear niece, is a dog. Among other things, we will take care of this said dog," my aunt shared with one of our duties.

"What are you doing here?" I heard someone speak not far from us. Rolling my eyes, I heard Danbi's voice. Of course, Danbi had to be here. When she's here, the boys aren't far away. And that means Jimin must be around here somewhere.