So much to be grateful about that it would be disrespectful to just hang on to all the bad.

"You nervous?" Ameri asked while glancing at Katan. She was leaning against the driver's side door as she steered her vehicle with her left and drank her coffee with her right.

Katan watched her movements loosely, "not really," he replied, gnawing slightly on his bottom lip " I hope they accept me but I ain't gon' stress it."

"You shouldn't. I wouldn't waste your time if I knew you had less than half a chance of being accepted."

Kingsway's convalescent home was severely understaffed and often overworked Ameri but she couldn't find it in herself to complain.

The money was a substantial reason for Ameri to pull all the overtime that she did but the overwhelming fact that she was desperately needed, overshadowed that.

Her co-workers had very little gratification when it came to Kingsway and they often outwardly expressed it.

Ameri cared deeply for everyone that was a resident at Kingsway, so much so, if she wasn't getting a source of income from the establishment she would still volunteer there.

"I believe you."

Katan appreciated her attempt to relieve the buildup of nerves that had started to come.

"Let me tell you," she started her body leaning slightly over the wheel to get the accuracy she needed before easing up, "Mrs.Lafaye is the boss."

"She's going to be the one interviewing you, she's really nice and easy to talk to." Ameri briefed, hoping any information she spares would be helpful.

"How long have you been working there?"

"A year and a half...I think. I was, what? I think I was 18 when I started working there."

"You're 19?"

"No,20. My birthday was in June."

Katan acknowledged the information "So when did y'all move down here?" He asked in reference to her and Kamaja.

"Like 2 years ago..." Ameri thought back " I moved down here permanently but Maja still hadn't made a permanent move because her mom still lived back in Trewood. She bounced back and forth."

There was more to it—Kamaja and Zeek had started dating a little over a year ago, and their relationship at the time was on the rockier side due to Kamaja constantly relocating. Zeek was very understanding but Kamaja was continually conflicted. She was getting tired of hopping from place to place.

So when she had become pregnant, it was just confirmation for her to permanently move to one place, which was Sarlaq.

Kamaja was considerably more comfortable in Sarlaq with her father than she was in Trewood with her mother, she would always love her mom but they didn't have a strong connection as they once had before her mom remarried.

"Can't believe this nigga Zeek just hid y'all from me."

"I don't think he really thought that idea through." Ameri stopped at a red light, "like he stayed talkin' about you but I'm like Harpo, who is this man?"

*When my bro get out, it's over for y'all!" Ameri deepened her voice while making dramatic motions with her hands, "I swear he said that at least once a day."

Katan leaned over in the passenger seat, letting out a gruff laugh as Ameri continued to mock Zeek.

"Niggas know what KT be on!" She pursed her lips and looked off to the side, " Niggas must not be me. Fasho' was not me." She giggled, speeding off once the stop light turned green.