Chapter 2

Third person pov

Two weeks into Izuku being there, Shota wakes up to the sound of sniffling.

Izuku hadn't talked again, and Shota hadn't tried to make him. He'd just patted the boy on the back, bowing his head and murmuring apologies to him. Izuku hadn't cried over it-- he never did. He just peered off into the corner, fiddling with the ears of his teddy bear idly. Their days passed leisurely and in quiet, with Izuku spending his nights tucked into Shota's side and his mornings unsupervised despite Shota's best efforts.

He sneaks out of bed without fail. Only once had Shota woken up before him. The kid refused to wake him up no matter how many times Shota asked and insisted. He hadn't caused any trouble, but it was disconcerting to wake up to the sound of the bath tub running, or to the smell of food cooking. He still hadn't adjusted, his panic always spiking, his mind jumping to the worst case scenario.

There's little word from Tsukauchi on the case. They have a few suspects, but Aizawa can't get involved-- not unless he wants to put Izuku directly in the line of fire. They spend their days going out for ice cream and walking around parks. They explore the mall again, but hang out in the living room for the most part. Izuku seems to enjoy his coloring books, careful to keep in the lines and smiling when Shota hangs them on the fridge.

So, it is a surprise to be woken up at all. He doesn't think it's the sniffling that does it. No-- no, it's the voice. There's a voice. In his house, in his room. And it's not his or Izuku's.

"I know. Shhh, it's okay. You're okay." It soothes in a quiet, tender murmur. It's familiar somehow, but in a vaguely distant and fuzzy way, clouded by sleep. It's distinctly male, and painfully fond. "It's okay, Izuku. You're alright. I'll look out for you, and so will Sho. He loves you already, did you know that? He thinks you're wonderful, and so do I. You're the cutest, smartest kid ever."

The lamp flickers in the corner. The room is freezing cold.

"I know the nightmares are scary. You went through too much." Movement from the corner of his eye, but the light blinks out before he can get a real look. Izuku's not tucked into his side like he usually is, and Shota catches only a flash of his teary face as his sleep-muddled mind struggles to process. There's a hand running through the boy's hair that he seems to lean into. "I'll protect you now, though! I always wanted a little brother, or a kid of my own one day. Did you know that? And now I have you! I'm glad to have a friend like you. It's a dream come true, really."

Shota bolts upright fast enough to give himself vertigo, hand flying for his capture weapon as reality sinks in. Adrenaline shoots through him sharply. The light flickers back on, illuminating the room softly. Shota's breathing is hard in his own ears, his heart pounding deafeningly. His eyes scan the room for a sign of the person he's so certain was there, straining to listen. There was a voice. He's sure of it.

Izuku gives another sniffle, not appearing worried in the slightest. Aizawa scoops him up and drags him into his chest, backing up until he's against the wall. He scans the room, hand clenched around his capture weapon so tightly his knuckles are white. Fear shakes him, and he holds Izuku as close as he can.

There's no noise. It's almost eerily silent, no hint of the voice or presence from before. He's certain he heard it. It had been quiet but there. And the hand-- the hand in Izuku's hair. It had been tan and a little calloused, too big to belong to a child. Shota breathes out a ragged breath. Izuku turns his face into his chest, tiny nose pressing into his shirt, but he doesn't seem particularly afraid.

The unnatural chill in the air is gone even though Shota can vividly remember the cold biting into his face and skin mere moments before. He swallows thickly, blinking rapidly as his breath finally returns to him. His gaze snaps down to Izuku, who peers back up at him with red-rimmed eyes. He doesn't look hurt or worried. The quiet voice from before whispers at the back of Shota's mind like a taunt.