"But I don't have that birthmark," Henry stated.

"Probably because of that ceremony. Both of you're parents are likely from the packs that bowed down to the crescents. Not from the direct line. It'll likely be a few generations before every member of the pack has the birthmark again."

•*•*•*•

Henry was walking to lunch when the witch pulled him to the side, "I need to talk to you."

"Be any less vague, Hope," he followed her to the dorm. Them by themselves, very awkward. "What is it?" He asked, but she didn't respond until the door was locked and spelled shut.

"I think you were right," Hope stated. Still, Henry was very confused. Hope elaborated, "Maybe I am part wolf?"

"Hope. I was joking," Henry laughed that she may have actually believed him.

Hope pulled down her cardigan from her right shoulder. Henry blocked his eyes, "It's not like I want to get naked in front of you, Henry. Just look."

He opened his eyes to see the same birthmark from the teacher's screen. It was eye shaped with a waxing crescent moon in the middle of it that was a lighter tan. "How's it that a witch has the birthmark of my pack but not me?"

"I'm serious, Henry. If I'm not supposed to be a werewolf, how do I have it?" She pulled the cardigan back over her shoulder.

"Before today, what did you think it was?" Henry didn't know how to answer so he just asked another question.

"My mom said it was a birthmark that our family seemed to have. I didn't really ask about it because I thought it looked cool," she smiled with a bit of laughter.

"Well then, maybe ask her?" Henry shrugged. It was the best answer he had for the witch. He sat down into the bed next to Hope.

"If she was going to tell me anything, don't you think she would have?" Hope laid back on her bed watching the ceiling fan spin.

"You wanna know what I think?" he looked down at the witch with her hands over her head. Once she nodded, he continued, "I think that you need some answers, and your family should be the ones to give them to you."

Hope sat up so that their eyes met each other. She smiled, "I don't know why. But that made me feel a lot better."

"I seem to have that affect," he returned the smile, and they sat staring at each other in silence.

It was broken moments later when there was knocking on Hope's door. Someone spiked through the door, "Hope? Why's your door spelled shut?"

"Oh crap. You should like— closet," Hope pointed in a haste. Henry barely made it into the closet in time without making too much noise.

Josie walked in with a blonde who was just a bit taller then her, "Why was your door spelled shut?"

"Just a privacy security I guess," Hope laughed, hoping Josie would believe the lie. The witch tucked her hair behind her ear, "Which is obviously useless with witches who can simply take the magic from any spell right across the hall," she held her arm out, gesturing to the room across the hall.

"Okay then. Well, I just wanted to introduce you and Lizzie to each other," Josie looked to her left at Lizzie.

"Hi," the blonde said, "So I hear you're an interesting case."

"What do you mean?" Hope arched an eyebrow. She hadn't seen Lizzie yet.

"The witch with werewolf parents. Word spreads fast," Lizzie informed, causing Hope to look at the closet where Henry was without realizing. 'Who the hell did he tell?!' Hope thought to herself.

"Oh—," Hope laughed calmly to herself. "Well then, yes that's true," she gulped. "Anyways, I'm Hope."

"That's a nice painting you have over there," Lizzie looked at the canvas.

"Thank you. I started it last night," Hope smiled. "I was actually going to work on it some more, so if you wouldn't mind," Hope gestured them out the door.

"Have fun, Hope. You should show us the finished result," Josie said softly. "I asked my dad to hurry and switch you to witch classes so we should see you tomorrow in them," she walked away with Lizzie.

"Thank you, Josie," Hope replied then closed the door behind them. She didn't bother spelling it again. "Okay, Henry," Hope cued him that it was safe to come out.

He slid out of the closet, "Why did you want me to hide in there?"

"I just didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea," Hope replied. She didn't want to be close with him, nor did she want anyone to think that they were close.

"I can understand that. Well, I guess we should get to class?" Henry pointed to the door. "Or are you gonna work on that master piece of yours?" He looked at Hopes painting. It was of a sun sent and had 3 silhouettes.

"Well thank you, but I think I'll go to class. Don't want to make a bad impression on the 2nd day by skipping class." They both walked out of the room.

•*•*•*•

"You have all your things, Caroline?" Alaric asked as he walked her out.

"I think I'm good, Ric. It's only a weeks trip. Hopefully, this lead is better than the last," she picked up her suitcase and put it into the backseat.

Lizzie and Josie came running from the front door of the school before Caroline could get into the car. "Mom!" they both shouted in sync.

"Girls—," Alaric said as they ran into his and Caroline's arms. "Shouldn't you guys be in class?"

Lizzie tilted her head slightly at her dad, "That's exactly why we're not." The blonde couldn't keep a straight face. She held her mom's hand, "You were just gonna leave without saying anything?"

"Why, Mom?" Josie added to Lizzie's question.

"Look, girls," Caroline titled her head down to look them in the eyes, "Mom will be back in a week, okay?"

"No, Mom. Not Okay!" Lizzie shouted. The wind picked up pace. "You're always leaving. You can't wait at least a month?"

"Lizzie, calm down," Josie brought her in for a hug which helped to settle her magic from going bonkers.

"Okay, okay. Let's go," Alaric walked his daughters back inside. The waved to their mom before going inside, still upset she was leaving.

•*•*•*•

Words: 1,528
Pages: 6
Written: 10/31/2022
Published: 11/11/2022