Review- The Girl who was afraid

Reviewer- kinalhariya
Book- The girl who was afraid
Author- LucyAnnWrites

Blurb:

Blurb is short and precise. It lets us know about what to expect yet not giving out all the information. It is interesting enough to take a look into the story. The words- fear as a companion and no-nonsense doctors really makes a reader intrigued to see how the story will turn out.

Moving towards the chapters,

Opening chapter starts off with a brilliant quote. Right from the start, we can understand the character through her subtle actions. The way her mind keeps repeating Illness and dirt- it really puts an emphasis on her internal turmoil.

The way she insists she is happy, and the stubbornness when it comes to going out. Her fear and her helplessness comes across really well. I like stubbornness too. It shows that there is more to her personality other than the scared girl.

Her fear is well defined. And it also showed beautifully how it affects her day to day life.

The fact that there isn't a name for her illness and her direct thought that she would have to go to an asylum, shows that the story isn't set in the modern times. I would like to get a rough idea of what era this story is written in.

Even in the sad moment, I laughed when Cerise imagined sweeping off the doctors with a broom like they were mice. 

I like that the two doctors have different personalities. They both had Cerise's best interest in their heart, but the way they tried to tackle the situation was different. It makes it much more relatable. 

When Cerise made a plan of finding a guardian herself, it was very cute. It showed off her childishness yet her yearning.

The repetition of the words - go, go, go and away, away, away; really puts an emphasis on her condition and the way she deals with it. It was a great idea to put it out there.

The efforts it took for her to get outside was really heartbreaking. 

The visit to the bakery was very sweet. 

Living with the doctors, practically strangers how scared she must be. The way she stays rooted in one place, really shows her discomfort. However, this seems like a start for her new life, even though it seems temporary for now.

There are many heartbreaking and heartwarming moments, along with a few fun moments too. The combination of this has made the story really beautiful.

(Chapter 4 comes after chapter 7. Look into it)

*****

Awesome characterization. We can connect with the main character instantly. Her fears, her reluctance, her safe place, her dependence on her Uncle, everything is well described. Even supporting characters are well portrayed; Her Uncle's worry, the doctors attitude that didn't match their style of outfit. And also the people from funeral services. No matter the screen space, each character had a distinct personality. They all made their place within a short amount of time.

Detailing and descriptions are awesome. Even the minute details like coughing are described so well. The fact that the main lead fears illness, this part is very essential. It shows us the level of where she stands with her fear. Other small details that are shown, lets us know how observant Cerise is.

Concept is awesome. And it is well presented too. Plot moves smoothly without a hitch, everything is accounted for. Pace of the story is also steady. 

Grammar:

Commas are missed at one or two places. And there are some unnecessary words, without which the sentence would look just fine. 

Overall, the story is grammatically well-written. The slight errors that are present are all negligible. They do not affect the story in any way.

Last words,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this time. Concept was unique and interesting. Even with this awesome concept, it wouldn't have worked without the author's writing style. The story was presented really well. Story moved my heart. I got really connected by it while reading. Loved it.

*****

Above review is for the eight chapters. However, as I had read more I would like to point out that while the plot was awesome throughout the way, the connection in the ending chapters wasn't as strong as the earlier chapters. I liked the chapters, but they didn't touch the heart as before.

Author has great potential, and I have seen it in earlier chapters. So I am really hoping that the further chapters can be polished more.