The Truth of the Matter (James Sirius Potter)

Start from the beginning

Sighing, I let the letter fall from my fingers and dropped my head. Pushing the heel of my hands into my eyes, I rubbed softly and tried not to groan out loud. James Sirius Potter had single-handedly made my good mood evaporate. He was lucky that I was planning on approaching him in a professional manner about all of this, otherwise, he'd be dodging a particular vicious stinging hex. Well, in a relatively professional manner.

Pulling my desk drawer open, I contemplated which stationery to use; did I use the plain parchment or the parchment that I'd have customised for my matchmaking business? Deciding on the latter, to lull him into a false sense of security, I set about writing a letter to James. I kept it short and to the point, knowing he'd be able to read the hidden message beneath the professional note; get your arse into my office Potter, or so help you ...

He knew me well enough to know what I really meant, even if I didn't write it.

Ending the letter with a signature, I waited for the ink to dry and then folded the parchment in half. Putting the letter into a customised envelope, I wrote his address on it, not needing to consult his client file to remember it. Melting some wax onto the seam, I stamped it shut with the seal. Once I was finished, I held the envelope between two fingers, tracing the way my letters sloped into one another.

What in Merlin's name was wrong with him? It shouldn't have been this difficult for him to have a successful first date. On paper, he was a good catch, in reality, he was an even better one. James had always been fairly decent at getting girls, so why the hell was it so hard to set him up? He should have been the easiest client I'd ever had, but he wasn't. He really, really wasn't.

**********

The very next day, as I came into work, my mind was fixated on one thing and one thing only; James Sirius Potter. I knew he would turn up today, that he wouldn't ignore my owl. Not that the bastard would reply to my owl either. Instead, he'd choose to surprise me, turning up unannounced at my office so we could talk. I'd already tried to explain to him that he couldn't just turn up announced in case I had a meeting and that he'd be left waiting for me, but he would never change. It was easier to tame a Kappa than it was to change James. But he would turn up. I just had to wait for it.

It was in the back of my mind through all of my meetings and as I worked through the financial reports for the month, and I tried my best to dismiss all thoughts of Potter. Not that it was easily done. I was so ready to stop thinking about this upcoming meeting that when there was a knock on my office door, I glanced expectantly at it, hoping it was the stubborn Gryffindor. The sooner he turned up, the sooner I could get some real work done.

The knock sounded again and I forced myself to take in a measured breath, sitting up straight. When I called out for the person on the other side to "come in", I hoped I looked the picture of composure. Especially when it was James who pushed open the office door, standing in the doorway with the same charming smile, like the picture of innocence with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. I tried not to narrow my eyes at James, wanting to demand what he was so smiley about, but I said nothing. Especially when his smile widened, probably because he knew exactly how much restraint I was showing to stop myself from cursing him out.

"Come in," I said again, gesturing for James to walk into the room.

"Long time no see Kincaid," James said, taking the prompting and approaching me. When he was close enough, he extended the bouquet towards me and I accepted it readily, spying the envelope amongst the flowers. Holding the arrangement in one arm, I plucked the envelope and listened as James explained, "The receptionist had it, so I said I'd bring it through."

"Thank you," I said shortly, casting a quick glance at him, watching as James settled into the chair across from me and returned my attention to the card. It was a short and sweet note, one from a successful match I'd made, thanking me for my help.