Volume 1 - XVI

<< chapter 16 >>

~ Guilt ~

No amount of guilt can change the past

§|§|§|§|§

"Her condition isn't getting better." Exclaimed the physician.

"Why can't she ever listen to me? She always has to break the norms." Madri cried out sitting on the chair.

Pandattva knew too that there wasn't anything such as a holy chant to grant your wishes, but nobody could convince Madri on that. Being a doctor herself, it was unbelievable sometimes that she was so superstitious.

Ishan entered the chamber and was shocked seeing the tensed atmosphere.

'I thought she had a high fever. It seems like she's on death bed here.'

The physician stood up and bowed towards Ishan, greeting him with a namaste before he addressed him with his position.

"How is she now?" Ishan asked, nodding at the doctor.

"Temperature of hundred and four and it's increasing. If it reaches beyond hundred and seven, there'll be really low chances of saving the girl."

Ishan's eyes widened as he touched Hiya's forehead. She was literally burning, just the flame on her head was invisible.

"What is it about the holy chant?" He asked looking towards Madri.

"It's a mantra, when recited, gives you what you ask for. You need to hold that person's hand and wish what you want from them." Madri explained.

"You were blaming her for everything that happened. In return, she asked for your fever." Spoke Jyotsana. Even she believed in all of this.

Ishan didn't care about the chant. But he got the hint of what Sunil wanted to explain him. Her intentions.

Ishan just caught a nearby chair and sat down, as his legs had turned into jelly and he was unsure if he would be able to stand for even a minute next.

He wasn't scared or nervous about Hiya. In fact, he detested this feeling more than anything.

He looked at the girl, almost lifeless. The glimmer in her eyes was not seen anymore, the silvery shine in her laugh wasn't heard anymore and her problematic but pretty mouth didn't make him smile. Threatening silence and unwanted peace masked her beautiful but pale face. He realised that accepting his feelings would be the best.

He closed his eyes before opening them again and fixing them on the girl. Out of all the swivelling emotions he was facing at this moment, it was guilt, that he felt the most.