CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX.

"Please," Vera touched the ground. "Sit. You look tired."

"I am," said Henry, crouching down and resting his forearms on his knees. "We've been looking for you."

"I know," she nodded, her expression sympathetic. "You've worked very hard, Henry. I'm just sorry it had to be for nothing in the end."

A scream sounded. It was Adele. Before Henry could turn to her, she'd dashed past him, her arms outstretched towards Vera.

"MURDERER!" she shouted at the top of her lungs.

"ADELE, STOP!" Simon caught her around the waist and she fought his grasp. With a grunt, Simon dropped her and she fell on all fours. She panted, glared, and lunged for Vera again before Simon had her.

"YOU KILLED MY BROTHER, YOU PSYCHOTIC BITCH!"

Charlie and Edward did not move from where they stood, though Henry heard Edward murmur his name.

"Adele," Vera smiled fondly as though Adele's hysterics were the cries of a child, too stupid to know what she wanted. "Darling, do calm yourself. It was always going to happen! Edward was always meant to be Henry's familiar, don't you see that? Richard told me, you know," she said to Henry. "Even when Edward was alive, he saw a glittering link that tied him to you! Without me, you two would never have even met! I did you a favour!"

Adele screamed again, anguished and furious and murderous, but Simon pulled her back, keeping a tight hold on her.

Vera looked around, touching the swirling engravings on the inside. "You mustn't be too hard on yourselves. It's a very unique grave," she said. "Very hard to get into at first. But you ran out of time and I was just stronger."

"Someone certainly was," said Henry.

Vera's smile faltered. "You shouldn't say things like that, Henry. I didn't need anyone's help finding the spells, did I? Didn't need anyone to kill the animals for me or saw their beaks off for charms. Didn't need anyone to teach me how to burn feathers or tear a rabbit's ear off for a potion." She smiled proudly, sitting up straight. "I did that all on my own."

Henry smirked. "Is that what he tells you? How very useful you are? How powerful he could make you?"

"Love is its own power."

"Yes, it is," said Henry. "Speaking of which, how is Richard? Still wearing the vest with all the pockets, is he?"

"He's fine," said Vera, her smile tightening. "Talks about you a lot. Then again, who doesn't? You're an Everwood. Everwoods are all magic. Even if they don't use it." She touched her chin like she was thinking. "What was it Edward had called you? Ah yes. Made of magic."

Henry kept her gaze. "Don't say his name, Vera. Not after what you've done."

Vera's smile dimmed and she swallowed. "You think I'm the villain for bringing him to you. I told you, didn't I? It would've happened anyway. Somehow, somewhere, he was meant to be your ghost familiar. There wasn't even a body! Ghost familiars don't separate from their corporeal forms, they just . . . evaporate. Every part of them turns into a ghost! So you see?" she told Simon and a red-eyed Adele. She looked around at the empty air. "Edward, were you listening? You were always going to die and be Henry's familiar. Your own death was proof!"

Edward's breathing was ragged. "Henry . . ."

"Don't talk about him," Henry said. His voice was quiet as he held Vera's eyes hostage, but he saw Vera's face fall, saw her scrunch her shoulders, felt the shift in the air around him. His threat was clear. "That's the last warning you'll get."